Overview of Dr. Steigman
Shaun A. Steigman, MD, enjoys a wide range of clinical interests and expertise, including neonatal surgery, gastrointestinal pediatric surgery, inflammatory bowel disease, thoracic surgery, pediatric surgical oncology, pediatric trauma, prenatal counseling of congenital surgical disorders, repair of tracheoesophageal fistula and/or esophageal atresia, and complex anorectal malformations. He specializes in the advanced minimally-invasive techniques so valuable for our young patients.
Dr. Steigman received his undergraduate degree at Harvard University in 2000, graduating magna cum laude. He earned his medical degree from New York University School of Medicine in 2004. His general surgery internship and residency training were completed at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School in 2011. He served there for two years as Administrative Resident, and he was also recognized with the Isaac O. Mehrez Award for Surgical Excellence.
During residency in Boston, he spent an additional two years completing a research fellowship in pediatric surgery at Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School. His investigative focus was on fetal surgery and tissue engineering, for which he received multiple accolades, most notably the Jens G. Rosenkranz Resident Research Award from the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Surgery. Dr. Steigman went on to complete a fellowship in pediatric surgery at Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Brown University, in 2013.
Well-published in his field, Dr. Steigman has authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and 2 book chapters. He has presented at numerous surgical scientific conferences throughout the United States. Dr. Steigman is an active member of many prestigious medical and surgical societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Medical Association, the Association for Academic Surgery, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Pediatric Surgical Association.
OfficeNewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group Brooklyn - Multispecialty
263 7th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215
- Is this information wrong?
Education & Training
- Brown UniversityFellowship, Pediatric Surgery, 2011 - 2013
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterResidency, Surgery, 2008 - 2011
- Childrens HospitalPost-Doctoral Fellowship, Pediatric Surgery Research, 2006 - 2008
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterResidency, Surgery, 2005 - 2006
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterInternship, Surgery, 2004 - 2005
- NYU Grossman School of MedicineClass of 2004, MD
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 2013 - 2024
- RI State Medical License 2011 - 2016
- MA State Medical License 2006 - 2017
- American Board of Surgery Surgery
- American Board of Surgery Pediatric Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Top Doctors - Rising Stars Super Doctors, 2015-2016
- Fellow (FACS) American College of Surgeons
- Fellow (FAAP) American Academy of Pediatrics, 2015
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- Chondroid lipoma: multimodality imaging in a 9-year-old female.Melissa Tannenbaum, Philip G. Colucci, Michael Baad, Alain C. Borczuk, Shaun A. Steigman, Arzu Kovanlikaya> ;Skeletal Radiology. 2020 Jan 1
- 16 citationsEarly versus late surgical management of complicated appendicitis in children: A statewide database analysis with one-year follow-upSaurabh Saluja, Tianyi Sun, Jialin Mao, Shaun A. Steigman, P. Stephen Oh, Heather L. Yeo, Art Sedrakyan, Demetri J. Merianos> ;Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2017 Oct 21
- 3 citationsMaintaining low transfusion and angioembolization rates in the age of nonoperative management of pediatric blunt splenic injury.Vincent P. Duron, Kristopher M. Day, Shaun A. Steigman, Jeremy T. Aidlen, Francois I. Luks> ;American Surgeon. 2014 Nov 1
- Join now to see all
- Early Versus Late Surgical Management of Complicated Appendicitis in Children: A Statewide Database Analysis with One-Year Follow-up☆October 2017
- Research fellow in pediatric surgery, Children's Hospital of Boston2006 - 2008
- Hebrew, Spanish
- New York-Presbyterian HospitalNew York, New York
- NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalBrooklyn, New York
- New York-Presbyterian QueensFlushing, New York
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical CenterNew York, New York
- NYC Health + Hospitals / LincolnBronx, New York
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan HospitalNew York, New York
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: