- As a result of my recent move to Northern California, I am once agian accepting new patients. My areas of interest and expertise include treatment of resistant conditions in psychiatry and chronic pain. I will be happy to help you with management of difficult patients by assuming the management of their psychotropic and pain medications. I also have extensive experience in management of geriatric patients. Advanced, goal oriented psychotherapy is also available in my office and is facilitated by doctoral level psychologists. Medical psychotherapy has proven to be an essential part of recovery in patients with chronic pain conditions. Group psychotherapy is also available at my practice and helps patients with insomnia, depression, anxiety as well as teaching of pain coping skills. Therapy is available in english and spanish and transportation may be provided for patients who are unable to come to the office on their own.
We are currently a participating provider with Medicare and several Workers Compensation MPNs. We accept all workers compensation patients for treatment, regardless of insurance or case status and will treat on lien. Other than the above, we are also happy to accept PPO patients as an "out of network" provider.
In addition to seeing patients in our San Mateo, Richmond and San Francisco offices, we also see patients in Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living facilities around the Bay Area.
Clinical Specialties & Interests
- Psychiatry: Addiction, Geriatric, Pain Medicine, Psychopharmacology, Psychosomatic Medicine, Sleep Medicine
- Clinical Interests: Chronic pain; Pain management; treatment resistant conditions in psychiatry; geriatric psychiatry; opioid and alcohol addiction; Workers' Compensation; Medico-legal consultations; QME; Disability Evaluation; Psychotherapy; Psychopharmacology; Decisional Capacity; Group Psychotherapy; Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation; Psychological Tests; Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; Complementary Therapies; Alternative Medicine (manual therapy, acupuncture, hirudotherapy, herbs, etc)
Education & Medical Training
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Kuban State Medical University
- Samra University of Oriental Medicine
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License2003 - 2015
- American Board of Pain MedicinePain Medicine, 2012, Current
- American Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyPsychiatry, 2010
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Healthgrades Honor RollHealthgrades, 2012
- Patient's Choice AwardVitals, 2012
- Compassionate Doctor RecognitionVitals, 2012
- Register to See 3 More
Publications & Presentations
- The Use of the Microsoft Access Database Manager in ECT Practice Kramer BA, Bokarius V, The Journal of ECT, 2001, 17(1):6-7
- Multidisciplinary Treatment Of Chronic Pain. 14. Bokarius V, Richeimer S, Victor L, Nemat A, Matharu Y, Wolf MK, Directions in Psychiatry, 2008, 28: 17-31
- Evidence-Based Review of Manual Therapy Efficacy in Treatment of Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain Bokarius AV, Bokarius V., Pain Practice, 2010, 10: 451–458
- Effectiveness of Ischemic Pressure and Acupuncture for Treatment of Myofacial Pain Syndrome. Bokarius V., J. Musculoskeletal pain, 2004, 12 (Suppl): 2, International Myopain Society. Sixth World Congress on myofascial pain and fibromyalgia, 2004, Munic
- Novel Methods for Smoking Cessation in Pregnant Women. Bokarius V, Huang W, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 11th Annual meeting, Prague, Czech Republic
- Evidence based use of pharmacological and alternative methods for the treatment of chronic pain. Bokarius V, Huang W, 11th International Congress on Pain, Sydney, Australia
- Register to See 25 More
- Acupuncture in Psychiatry: Traditional Approach and Evidence based review. Thalians Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, USA
- Treatment of Resistant Depression Thalians Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, USA
- Establishing and Utilizing research Volunteer Registries Thalians Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, USA
- Comprehensive Care Consultants
- The full profile is locked and available to verified physicians only.
Join over 50% of U.S. physicians already on Doximity and get access to this and over 700,000 physician CVs. Find your physician profile