Dr. Leitman is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office10 Union Sq E
New York, NY 10003Phone(212) 844-8570Fax(212) 819-7124
- Is this information wrong?
- I. Michael Leitman, MD is an American surgeon and medical educator. He is Professor of Surgery and Medical Education and Dean for Graduate Medical Education at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. He previously held the position of Site Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Mount Sinai Beth Israel in New York City.
A native of Philadelphia, Dr. Leitman received both his bachelor's degree and Medical Degree from Boston University. After medical school, Dr. Leitman moved to New York City to receive his training in General Surgery at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell and completed his fellowship in Surgical Critical Care at North Shore University Hospital-Weill Cornell. While at Cornell, Leitman was under the tutelage of American surgical pioneer G. Tom Shires. As a member of the faculty at North Shore University Hospital, he was appointed Director of Surgical Endoscopy, Physician-in-charge of Surgical Education, Program Director and Chief of Surgical Critical Care in 1995. He joined the Department of Surgery at Mount Sinai Beth Israel in 2005 where he is presently Vice Chairman of the Department of Surgery, and Chief of General Surgery. In 2007, he was appointed Associate Chief Medical Officer and in 2010 Chief of Graduate Medical Education. As an innovator of minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of abdominal conditions, Dr. Leitman is also known for his research on the outcomes following the surgical treatment of breast cancer, colon cancer, lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage, gallbladder disease and morbid obesity.
For nearly 30 years, Dr. Leitman has served as a medical educator. In addition to his current role as Professor of Medical Education at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Dr. Leitman has also served as a Professor of Clinical Surgery at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in New York City. In 2014 Dr. Leitman was appointed Senior Associate Dean for GME at Mount Sinai.
Education & Training
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell CampusResidency, General Surgery, 1985 - 1990
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell CampusInternship, General Surgery, 1985 - 1986
- Boston University School of MedicineClass of 1985
- Boston UniversityB.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1977 - 1981
Certifications & Licensure
- FL State Medical License 2012 - 2022
- NY State Medical License 1986 - 2023
- American Board of Surgery Surgery
- American Board of Surgery Surgical Critical Care
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- "Top Doctor" Castle Connolly Medical Ltd, 2013-2019
- Top Doctors New York City Castle Connolly, 2017
- Louis Armstrong Center for Music in Medicine Award 2016
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- Risk factors for early morbidity and mortality following pancreatoduodenectomy with concomitant vascular reconstruction.Tiffany Y. Lim, I. Michael Leitman> ;Annals of medicine and surgery. 2021 Jul 27
- Factors Associated with SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Physician Trainees in New York City during the First COVID-19 WaveKate R. Pawloski, Betty Kolod, Rabeea F. Khan, Vishal Midya, Tania Chen, Adeyemi Oduwole, Bernard Camins, Elena Colicino, I. Michael Leitman, Ismail Nabeel, Kristin Ol...> ;International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021 May 15
- Loss of independence after emergency inguinal hernia repair in elderly patients: How aggressive should we be?Japjot Bal, Nicole Ilonzo, Princess Spencer, Misa Hyakutake, I. Michael Leitman> ;American Journal of Surgery. 2021 Apr 1
- Join now to see all
- Early Recognition of Acute thoracic Aortic Dissection and AneurysmIM Leitman, K Suzuki, AJ Wengrofsky, E Menashe, M Poplawski, KM Woo, CM Geller, D Lucido, T Bernik, B Zeifer and B Patton, World Journal of Emergency Surgery, 1/1/2013
- Postoperative Pneumoperitoneum: Clearing the air, Journal of Surgery Clearing the AirLS Bernstein, JE Sabat, M Montgomery, F Nwoke MD, H Natcheva, A Sorrentino, C Holland, B Zeifer , S Cassaro , David Lucido, BG Surick, IM Leitman, J Surgery, 1/1/2013
- Gastric Calcifying PseudotumorB Abbadessa, SD Eiref, SA Holekamp, J Koulos, G Levi, M Winestone, MS Karpeh, IM Leitman, J Surg Radiol, 1/1/2012
- Join now to see all
- U.S. Doctors in Training to Work Longer Hours Under New GuidelinesMarch 10th, 2017
- Study of Breast Biopsies Finds Surgery Used Too ExtensivelyFebruary 18th, 2011
- Study: 600,000 Women Get Unneeded BiopsiesJanuary 5th, 2009
- Spanish, Hebrew
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: