Dr. Blau is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office120 Bethpage Road
Hicksville, NY 11801Phone(516) 932-7777Fax(516) 681-8042
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Richard Blau is a board-certified rheumatologist, specializing in the diagnosis and the non-surgical treatment of illnesses that cause significant muscle or joint pain. He treats over 200 types of illnesses that affect the joints and muscles, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, lupus, and tendinitis.
More than twenty years ago, he was among the first physicians to unlock the power of computerized medical records to help improve patient care. More recently, he became the first physician on the East Coast to bring Diagnostic Needle Arthroscopy to his private practice. He was also one of the first rheumatologists in New York to use miniaturized MRI onsite in the rheumatology office for the early diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.
His experience has brought him to both the local and the national stage as a lecturer to physicians, physicians-in-training, and medical students on a variety of topics, including: the role of electronic medical records (EHR) in the private medical office, computerization of the medical office, and the future of private practice medicine. He has also lectured on innovations in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and osteoporosis.
Dr. Blau is the Medical Director of The Arthritis Institute of Long Island and is staffed by dedicated professionals and is a full-service diagnostic private practice located in Hicksville, New York. The Institute has a CLIA accredited onsite laboratory, MRI, X-ray, osteoporosis DEXA scanner, and infusion center. The recent addition of a state-of-the-art, portable GE LOGIQ e musculoskeletal ultrasound now allows immediate evaluation of many joint and muscle problems.
He is the author of many self-help articles, and along with renowned health writer E. A. Tremblay, co-authored the best-selling arthritis self-help book, Too Young to Feel Old – The Arthritis Doctor’s 28-day Formula for Pain-Free Living.
Education & Training
- University of Southern California/LACUSC Medical CenterFellowship, Rheumatology, 1982 - 1984
- University of Southern California/LACUSC Medical CenterResidency, Internal Medicine, 1979 - 1982
- University of Florida College of MedicineClass of 1979
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 1985 - 2021
- FL State Medical License 1983 - 1985
- CA State Medical License 1980 - 2022
- American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Rheumatology
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement AmendmentsAccreditation
- Commisission on Office Laboratory AssessmentFull Accreditation
- Intersocietal Accreditation CommissionMusculoskeletal MRI
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Fellow American College of Rheumatology
Publications & Presentations
- One physician's journey into automation. Long Island rheumatologist transforms his medical practice with information technology, saving money and maximizing his time.Richard H Blau> ;Health management technology. 2004 Jun 1
- Erosive and subluxing cervical spine disease in patients with psoriatic arthritis.Blau R, Kaufman R, J Rheumatology, 2/1987
- Diabetic neuropathic cachexia. Report of a woman with this syndrome and review of the literatureBlau, Richard, Arch Intern Med, 10/1983
- Palpable leg purpura and renal failure in a 23-year-old man.Blau, R; Quismorio FP, et.a;, West J Med., 10/1983
- Three Foods to Fight ArthritisMay 4th, 2019
- No Shirt, No Shoes, No Mask...No Service? Local Businesses Respond Despite Tampa Not Having a Mask MandateMay 7th, 2020
- Founding Fellow
- Ultrasound School of North American RheumatologistsMember
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: