Dr. Monfared is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
See Dr. Monfared's full profile
Office2300 M St NW
Washington, DC 20037Phone+1 202-741-3017Fax+1 202-741-3382
- Is this information wrong?
- Ashkan Monfared, MD is board-certified in Otolaryngology and was recruited from Stanford University to serve as the Director of Otology and Neurotology. He completed his medical training, residency and fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Previously he has served as staff surgeon in Otolaryngology at Stanford University Hospital and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. He has had the distinct honor of serving at Veteran Administration Hospital and Walter Reed National Medical Center.
As a researcher in the areas of acoustic neuroma and inner ear imaging, he has authored several peer-reviewed scientific papers and book chapters. He is the co-principal investigator of a multi-center prospective study on large acoustic neuromas (vestibular schwannomas) known as Acoustic Neuroma Subtotal Resection Study (ANSRS). His other current research interests are inner ear physiology, otologic simulators, image guidance surgery, and resident education.
Dr. Monfared has created the Comprehensive Hearing Center, which is one of the only adult cochlear implant programs in the Metro DC area. The Center serves the needs of patients with any degree of hearing loss and ear disease.
Since 2004 Dr. Monfared has been active in international humanitarian medical missions. He is on the board of directors of Global ENT Outreach, a non-profit humanitarian organization providing assistance and education with otologic surgeries in many developing countries. He has served in Ethiopia, El Salvador, Belize, Peru, and the American Samoa. Dr. Monfared is a trained classical pianist and fluent in Persian.
Education & Training
- Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford UniversityFellowship, Neurotology, 2008 - 2010
- Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford UniversityResidency, Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, 2002 - 2007
- Stanford University School of MedicineClass of 2002
Certifications & Licensure
- VA State Medical License 2011 - 2024
- DC State Medical License 2010 - 2024
- CA State Medical License 2003 - 2024
- MD State Medical License 2022 - 2023
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Otolaryngology
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Neurotology
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Board of Directors Global ENT Outreach
- Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, 2012
- Subtotal Resection of Large Acoustic Neuromas With Possible Stereotactic Radiation Therapy Start of enrollment: 2005 Mar 01
- SoundBite Hearing System 24 Month Multi Site Patient Use Study Start of enrollment: 2013 Mar 01
Publications & Presentations
- Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: A Comprehensive Overview.Eric J Chalif, Ashkan Monfared> ;Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2022 Jun 1
- 1 citationsMalignant Pineal Parenchymal Tumors in Adults: A National Cancer Database Analysis.Eric J Chalif, Richard D Murray, Khashayar Mozaffari, Yeshwant R Chillakuru, Timothy Shim, Ashkan Monfared, Jonathan H Sherman> ;Neurosurgery. 2022 Jun 1
- Adverse Events Associated With Ossicular Prostheses: Utility of a Federal Database.Jane Y Tong, Luke J Pasick, Daniel A Benito, Ashkan Monfared, Robert T Sataloff> ;Otology & Neurotology. 2022 Feb 1
- Join now to see all
- Dubai Otology Conference and Exhibition BeginsOctober 11th, 2021
- Member, AAO-HNS Otology Education Committee 2018 - Present
- ANS/AOS representative, AAO-HNS Clinical Practice Guideline 2012 - Present
- Memeber, AAO-HNS Skullbase committee 2012 - 2014
- Surgical Middle Ear Simulation Multi-center Study.Prospective randomized study with 11 US and international centers evaluating the fidelity and validity of a middle ear microsurgery simulator.2016 - Present
- Multi Center Prospective Analysis of Treatment Outcome in Patients with Large Acoustic Neuromas Receiving Subtotal Resection Followed by Stereotactic Radiation Therapy. (A.N.S.R.S)Prospective multicenter trial on large acoustic neuromas2006 - Present
- Micro-imaging of mammalian cochlea using endogenous fluorescence2008 - 2010
- Cochlear Endoscopy and Fluoroscopy in vivo.2004 - 2010
- Pulsatile tinnitus and intracranial hypertensionProspective evaluation of patients with pulsatile tinnitus and refining an algorithm for diagnosis with main focus on venous phase pulsatile tinnitus
- American Neurotology SocietyMember
- Inova Fairfax HospitalFalls Church, Virginia
- Virginia Hospital CenterArlington, Virginia
- George Washington University HospitalWashington, District of Columbia
- Walter Reed National Military Medical CenterBethesda, Maryland
- Children's National HospitalWashington, District of Columbia
- GW MFA ENThttps://www.gwdocs.com/find-a-doctor/ashkan-monfared-md/
- Skullbase Centerhttp://skullbasecenter.com/about/about-dr-monfared/
- GW Hospitalhttps://www.gwhospital.com/conditions-services/ears-nose-throat/ashkan-monfared
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: