Dr. Alvarez is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeAdventist Sonora Hospital
680 Guzzi Lane, Suite 201
Sonora, CA 95370Phone(209) 536-5755
- Is this information wrong?
- I completed a general surgery residency in a program that exposed me to a remarkable quantity and breadth of cases. I acquired a love of complex surgery, which I pursued on the faculty at the University of Maryland and what is now Rutgers-NJ Medical School. In the absence of formal advanced laparoscopy fellowships at the time of my training, I developed skills on my own, ranging from fundoplications to colectomies to the occasional pancreatic debridement/resection. In 2004 I transitioned to private practice but continue to perform a large variety of procedures at the core of general surgery. My core belief is that only by providing a wide range of care do we preserve general surgery as a specialty. I am committed to "passing it forward" to the next generation, of students and residents. I also think that a broad practice keeps you from burning out.
Education & Training
- UCLA Medical CenterResidency, General Surgery, 1988 - 1995
- University of South Florida Morsani College of MedicineClass of 1988
- University of MiamiBS, Biology, 1984
- Northwestern UniversityGeneral Studies, 1980 - 1981
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License 2014 - 2023
- PA State Medical License 2014 - 2022
- NY State Medical License 2014 - 2016
- NJ State Medical License 2000 - 2021
- MD State Medical License 1995 - 2000
- American Board of Surgery Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1988
- Fellow (FACS) American College of Surgeons
Publications & Presentations
- New perspectives in the surgical management of chronic pancreatitis.Carlos Alvarez, Adam L. Widdison, Howard A. Reber> ;Pancreas. 1991 Jan 1
- Cost-benefit analysis of the work-up for pancreatic cancer.Carlos Alvarez, Edward H. Livingston, Stanley W. Ashley, M. Schwarz, Howard A. Reber> ;American Journal of Surgery. 1993 Jan 1
- Polyethylene pancreatic duct stent-induced changes in the normal dog pancreasStuart Sherman, Carlos Alvarez, Marie E. Robert, Stanley W. Ashley, Howard A. Reber, Glen A. Lehman> ;Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 1993 Jan 1
- Join now to see all
- Adventist Health SonoraSonora, California
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: