Dr. Asif is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office930 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35205Phone+1 205-934-9109Fax+1 205-975-5938
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Irfan M. Asif is a family medicine physician who is also board certified in sports medicine and currently serves as the Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). He recently completed a 4-year term on the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM) Board of Directors (2015-2019) and is an Associate Editor for both the British Journal of Sports Medicine and Sports Health: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach.
His research explores several domains within sports cardiology with an emphasis on combating physical inactivity for the prevention of cardiometabolic disease. He has been invited to participate and speak at a number of national and international venues, such as the American College of Cardiology Sports and Exercise Cardiology Think Tank and the International Olympic Committee World Conference on the Prevention of Injury and Illness in Sport. For this work, he has earned a number of honors including the AMSSM Best Overall Research Award, the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Best Overall Research Paper, and the David T. Sisk Award for Best Review Paper in the journal Sports Health. He has been asked to Chair a national summit on Physical Activity in 2021 in San Diego, CA that is sponsored by the AMSSM.
Dr. Asif is also an avid educator. He has extensive experience as a sports medicine fellowship director and recently completed his term as the Chair for the AMSSM Fellowship Committee. His recent work includes developing standards of excellence for sports medicine fellowship training programs across the United States and he is also a current member of the writing group that is composing the International Syllabus in Sports and Exercise Medicine Education. His contributions have earned several awards including the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Resident Teaching Award and the Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development Course of the Year Award
Education & Training
- University of WashingtonFellowship, Sports Medicine (Family Medicine), 2010 - 2011
- University of WashingtonResidency, Family Medicine, 2007 - 2010
- University of Cincinnati College of MedicineClass of 2007
Certifications & Licensure
- AL State Medical License 2018 - 2023
- SC State Medical License 2014 - 2019
- TN State Medical License 2011 - 2015
- WA State Medical License 2007 - 2013
- American Board of Family Medicine Family Medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine Sports Medicine
Publications & Presentations
- Alabama Screening and Intervention for Glaucoma and Eye Health through Telemedicine (AL-SIGHT): Baseline Results.Cynthia Owsley, Thomas A Swain, Gerald McGwin Jr, Van Thi Ha Nghiem, Shilpa Register, Irfan M Asif, Massimo Fazio, Ellen K Antwi-Adjei, Christopher A Girkin, Lindsay A...> ;American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2023 Sep 6
- Negotiating a new chair package: context and considerations.Amanda Weidner, Samantha Elwood, Richelle Koopman, Julie Phillips, David Schmitz, Li Li, A Peter Catinella, Jehni Robinson, Nahid Rianon, C J Peek, Irfan Asif> ;Family Medicine and Community Health. 2023 Jan 1
- An international study on attitudes and opinions regarding female sports medicine physicians during pregnancy and the postpartum period.Yuka Tsukahara, Melissa Novak, Seira Takei, Irfan M Asif, Fumihiro Yamasawa, Suguru Torii, Takao Akama, Hideo Matsumoto, Carly Day> ;The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 2022 Dec 7
- Join now to see all
- HRSA Awards $5.5 Million to UAB’s CU2RE Program for the Second Consecutive YearSeptember 2nd, 2022
- Ways to Reduce Physician BurnoutMarch 18th, 2022
- Asif Answers Questions About Taking Care of Heart Health During ExerciseFebruary 24th, 2022
- Join now to see all
- University of Alabama HospitalBirmingham, Alabama
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: