Dr. Affronti is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office1415 Tulane Ave
New Orleans, LA 70112Phone+1 504-988-5110Fax+1 504-988-0644
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. John Affronti was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Atlanta as well as Springfield Va. a suburb of Wash. D.C.
While assisting with research at the NIH he obtained his B.A. Degree from The George Washington Univ. and a M.S. Degree in Pharmacology from the Uniformed Services Univ. of the Health Sci..
Dr. Affronti then returned to G.W.U. for his M.D. and residency where he volunteered in free clinics as well as assisted with the care of numerous dignitaries in the D.C. area.
He did his GI fellowship at Duke where he conducted shockwave lithotripsy research. He developed his expertise in treating biliary and pancreatic disorders under the supervision of Dr. Cotton and Dr. Baillie who are world renowned in this field. His training included an apprenticeship under Dr. Leung at the Prince of Whales Hospital in Hong Kong.
Dr. Affronti continued at Duke as an Assistant Professor where he started/directed the endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) program. He also traveled to Saudi Arabia as a consultant in the liver transplant program at the King Faisal Hospital in Riyadh.
He was then recruited to become Director of Endoscopy at The Univ. of Fla. Jacksonville Campus. While there, he was asked to be acting chief of gastroenterology and set up their first EUS program. In addition he started an off-campus GI outpatient clinic for the Univ.
Dr. Affronti then became Director of Endoscopy at Emory Univ. Hosp. where he was promoted to Assoc. Prof. He also initiated and was the director of the Biliary/Pancreatic Health Service there.
In 2007 he was promoted to Professor of Medicine and The Director of Advanced Endoscopy at Loyola Univ. of Chicago.
He was invited to join the Medical College of Ga. in 2013 to develop the Advanced Endoscopy Program in the new Digestive Health Center being built there. As Director of the Advanced Endoscopy & Gastro-intestinal Services (A.E.G.I.S.) Group he also started the Multidisciplinary Pancreas and Bile Duct Group.
Education & Training
- Duke University HospitalFellowship, Gastroenterology, 1988 - 1990
- George Washington UniversityResidency, Internal Medicine, 1985 - 1988
- George Washington University School of Medicine and Health SciencesClass of 1985
Certifications & Licensure
- VA State Medical License 2021 - 2024
- MD State Medical License 2021 - 2024
- LA State Medical License 2016 - 2022
- IL State Medical License 2007 - 2014
- GA State Medical License 1998 - 2022
- FL State Medical License 1996 - 2000
- NC State Medical License 1991 - 1998
- American Board of Internal Medicine Gastroenterology
- Join now to see all
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Fellow American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Regional Top Doctor Castle Connolly, 2014
- Fellow (FACG) American College of Gastroenterology
Publications & Presentations
- 14 citationsChronic Pancreatitis and Exocrine InsufficiencyJohn Affronti> ;Primary Care. 2011 Sep 1
- What the heck is this new periductal hypoechoic signJohn Affronti> ;Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010 Feb 1
- 3 citationsLevitra for sphincter of Oddi dysfunction? Are you kidding?John Affronti> ;Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2009 May 1
- Join now to see all
- Endoscopy the 4th DimensionDigestive Disease Division Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, - 5/17/2014
- Common Bile Duct Stones- A Complication of Gallstone DiseaseMedical College of Georgia Primary Care & Family Medicine Symposium Marriot Conference Center - 3/30/2014
- Tulane Health SystemNew Orleans, Louisiana
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: