Dr. MacGillivray is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
See Dr. MacGillivray's full profile
Office1 Blachley Road
Stamford, CT 06902Phone+1 212-606-1896
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. John MacGillivray is an Associate Attending Orthopedic Surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. He currently serves as Team Physician to the US Ski Team. He has also served as an Orthopedic Consultant for the New York Giants, the National Hockey League Players' Association team physician for St. John's University, the New York Saints Professional La Crosse Team and the US Snow Boarding Team. He is also a member of the Board of Directors at the Carlos Otis Clinic, Stratton Mountain in Vermont.
Dr. MacGillivray has developed new techniques involving arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, labral repair of the shoulder, and ligament reconstruction of the knee. He also has a clinical and scientific interest in cartilage restoration of the knee and shoulder and has written numerous articles and book chapters on problems of the shoulder, knee and elbow. He has won the prestigious Neer Award once and has been nominated twice for his research of rotator cuff disease.
Education & Training
- New York Presbyterian HospitalFellowship, Sports Medicine (Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation), 1998 - 1999
- Hospital for Special Surgery/Cornell Medical CenterResidency, Orthopaedic Surgery, 1991 - 1995
- Hospital for Special Surgery/Cornell Medical CenterInternship, Orthopaedic Surgery, 1990 - 1991
- Tufts University School of MedicineClass of 1990
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 1992 - 2024
- VT State Medical License 2002 - 2024
- CT State Medical License 2001 - 2023
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Super Doctor SuperDoctors.com
- Hospital for Special Surgery Shoulder Arthroplasty Cohort Start of enrollment: 2007 Apr 01
Publications & Presentations
- 3 citationsApplication of Machine Learning Algorithms to Predict Clinically Meaningful Improvement After Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.Kyle N. Kunze, Evan Polce, Anil S. Ranawat, Per-Henrik Randsborg, Riley J. Williams, Answorth A. Allen, Benedict U. Nwachukwu, Andrew D. Pearle, Beth E. Shubin Stein, ...> ;Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2021 Oct 14
- 1 citationsReturn to Sport After Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Autograft ACL Reconstruction in High School-Aged Athletes.Ryan C. Rauck, John Apostolakos, Benedict U. Nwachukwu, Brandon Schneider, Riley J. Williams, Joshua S. Dines, David W. Altchek, Andrew D. Pearle, Answorth A. Allen, B...> ;Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2021 Jun 24
- 6 citationsLower-Dose Mepivacaine Plus Fentanyl May Improve Spinal Anesthesia for Knee ArthroscopyRichard L. Kahn, Jennifer Cheng, James J. Bae, Kara G. Fields, John G. Muller, John D. MacGillivray, Howard A. Rose, Riley J. Williams, Jacques T. YaDeau> ;HSS Journal. 2015 Jul 9
- Join now to see all
- Large Study of Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair Reveals Some SurprisesFebruary 21st, 2011
- Hospital for Special SurgeryNew York, New York
- New York-Presbyterian HospitalNew York, New York
- hss linkhttps://www.hss.edu/physicians_macgillivray-john.asp
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: