Dr. Al-Aswad is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office222 East 41st Street
New York, NY 10017Phone+1 212-263-2573
- Is this information wrong?
- Lama A. Al-Aswad, MD, MPH is a board-certified ophthalmologist with subspecialty in glaucoma and cataract with a strong interest in disease prevention and population health management. She is professor of ophthalmology and professor of population health at NYU Langone Health. She is also the Vice Chair for Innovations and the Director of Teleophthalmology, Artificial Intelligence and Director of the ophthalmology Innovations Fellowship. She received her medical degree from Damascus University Medical School and completed her glaucoma research fellowship at the MEEI, Harvard Medical School. Subsequently, she completed her residency in ophthalmology at the SUNY Downstate and her glaucoma clinical fellowship at the University of Tennessee.
In 2015, Dr. Al-Aswad conferred the degree of Master of Public Health from Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health for her work in healthcare policy and management.
Dr. Al-Aswad is the past president of the NY Glaucoma Society and the WIO. She is the founder and past president of the New York chapter of WIO. She is currently a member at-large of the AAO annual meeting secretariat and the program committee. She served on multiple committees for the AGS, WIO and the AAO. She is currently on the Ophthalmology glaucoma, ophthalmology science and APJO editorial board. She holds an appointment with the FDA as a voting member on the ophthalmic device panel.
Understanding the burden of disease and the need to improve access to care she expanded her interest to innovations and artificial intelligence. she launched the tele-ophthalmology screening project for the four-leading cause of blindness using a mobile tele-ophthalmology unit. Due to the changes during COVID, she built a vision app integrating it with Epic for patient use during virtual visits as part of a suite of apps for remote monitoring. She is currently working on building an an ophthalmology data core for ML as tool for blindness prevention.
Education & Training
- Mailman school of public health Columbia UniversityEMPH, Masters in health care policy and management , 2013 - 2015
- University of TennesseeFellowship, Glaucoma, 2002 - 2003
- SUNY Health Science Center at BrooklynResidency, Ophthalmology, 1998 - 2001
- Boston University Medical CenterResidency, Internal Medicine, 1997 - 1998
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard Medical SchoolFellowship, Glaucoma, 1995 - 1997
- Damascus University Faculty of MedicineClass of 1993
Certifications & Licensure
- CT State Medical License Current
- PA State Medical License 2020 - 2024
- NY State Medical License 2001 - 2024
- TN State Medical License 2002 - 2004
- American Board of Ophthalmology Ophthalmology
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Distinguished Service Award Columbia University, Department of ophthalmology, 2019
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area Castle Connolly, 2014-2019
- Achievement Award American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2012
- Join now to see all
- Shunt Tube Exposure Prevention Study Start of enrollment: 2013 Jun 01
Publications & Presentations
- Effect of 24-h blood pressure dysregulations and reduced ocular perfusion pressure in open-angle glaucoma progression.Jesus D Melgarejo, Jan V Eijgen, Dongmei Wei, Gladys E Maestre, Lama A Al-Aswad, Chia-Te Liao, Luis J Mena, Thomas Vanassche, Stefan Janssens, Peter Verhamme, Zhen-Yu ...> ;Journal of Hypertension. 2023 Sep 1
- Salary Negotiations: Gender Differences in Attitudes, Priorities and Behaviors of Ophthalmologists.Shefali Sood, Alcina K Lidder, Ceyhun Elgin, Janice C Law, Aakriti Garg Shukla, Bryan J Winn, Albert S Khouri, Eydie G Miller-Ellis, John Laudi, Jeffrey R SooHoo, Eva ...> ;American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2023 Aug 9
- Environmental influences on ophthalmic conditions: A scoping review.Noah Heilenbach, Galen Hu, Ryan Lamrani, Jaideep Prasad, Titilola Ogunsola, Mina Iskander, Cansu Yuksel Elgin, Richard McGowan, Dorice Vieira, Lama A Al-Aswad> ;Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. 2023 Aug 1
- Join now to see all
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: