Dr. Baldwin is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
See Dr. Baldwin's full profile
Office622 W 168th St
PH-8E, Room 101b
New York, NY 10032Phone+1 212-342-4676
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Matthew Baldwin is a board-certified pulmonary and critical care physician and clinical investigator with a Masters in Biostatistics. He is the Herbert Irving Associate Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Irving Medical Center. He received his medical degree from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, did his residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins, did his fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care at New York Presbyterian-Columbia, and has been in practice 13 years. He also speaks multiple languages, including Spanish. He specializes in critical care medicine and is experienced in general pulmonology, lung transplantation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, and prolonged mechanical ventilation. He has more than 60 publications and over 10,000 citings.
His clinical-translational research laboratory aims to improve critical illness survivorship and spans three areas of study. (1) The primary focus is to end-phenotype acute respiratory failure survivors and COVID survivors to elucidate mechanisms of physical impairment as therapeutic targets for improving long-term recovery. (2) Clinical and epidemiologic research with a focus on clinical risk prediction modeling and health disparities outcomes. (3) Novel palliative care interventions aimed at improving ICU survivorship. For example, chaplain-led communication-board-guided spiritual care for mechanically ventilated patients.
Education & Training
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus)Fellowship, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine, 2008 - 2011
- Johns Hopkins UniversityResidency, Internal Medicine, 2004 - 2007
- Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and SurgeonsClass of 2004
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 2008 - 2025
- PA State Medical License 2013 - 2014
- NJ State Medical License 2011 - 2013
- MD State Medical License 2007 - 2008
- American Board of Internal Medicine Critical Care Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Pulmonary Disease
Publications & Presentations
- 1 citationsDo Interventions Improve Symptoms Among ICU Surrogates Facing End-of-Life Decisions? A Prognostically-Enriched Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Christine E DeForge, Maureen George, Matthew R Baldwin, Katherine South, Melissa Beauchemin, Marlene E McHugh, Arlene Smaldone> ;Critical Care Medicine. 2022 Nov 1
- Bedaquiline Adherence Measured by Electronic Dose Monitoring Predicts Clinical Outcomes in the Treatment of Patients With Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.Max R O'Donnell, Nesri Padayatchi, Allison Wolf, Jennifer Zelnick, Amrita Daftary, Catherine Orrell, Camus Nimmo, Matthew Baldwin, Resha Boodhram, Bhavna Maharaj, K Ri...> ;Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2022 Jul 1
- 7 citationsStress-Related Disorders of Family Members of Patients Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit With COVID-19.Timothy Amass, Lauren Jodi Van Scoy, May Hua, Melanie Ambler, Priscilla Armstrong, Matthew R Baldwin, Rachelle Bernacki, Mansoor D Burhani, Jennifer Chiurco, Zara Coop...> ;JAMA Internal Medicine. 2022 Jun 1
- Join now to see all
- A Chaplain Designed a Way for ICU Patients to Request Prayers, Poetry and a Hand to HoldJuly 12th, 2017
- ‘I’m Mentally and Physically Exhausted.’ Healthcare Workers Battling Coronavirus Are Running Out of Protective GearMarch 25th, 2020
- Immune, hormonal, and muscle mitochondrial determinants of recovery in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome SurvivorsNHLBI2023–2028
- Covid-19 Lung Injury, ARDS, and Thrombosis: Acute Disease and Long-term Sub-PhenotypesDepartment of Defense2021–2025
- K23 Career Development AwardNational Institute on Aging2014–2019
- New York-Presbyterian HospitalNew York, New York
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical CenterNew York, New York
- Faculty Pagehttp://www.cumc.columbia.edu/pulmonary/faculty-and-staff/matthew-r-baldwin-md-ms
- Lab Pagehttp://www.cumc.columbia.edu/pulmonary/research/baldwin-laboratory
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: