Dr. Gerling is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office506 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215Phone(212) 882-1110Fax(212) 882-1120
- Is this information wrong?
The ultimate goal is restoration of function, quality of life and pain relief. When spine surgery is needed there are a variety of options using the newest technology to minimize your surgical risks and recovery time. Spine surgery is performed using the most current and reliable technology with minimally invasive techniques in most circumstances. We work together as a team with you to formulate an optimal treatment plan specific to your needs.
With his background as an Orthopedic neurologic surgeon, Dr. Michael Gerling’s practice marries modern technique with tradition to optimize care of spinal disorders. Comprehensive spine care provided by the group includes thorough diagnostic testing and examination before treatment commences. The full spectrum of care from conservative methods to surgery are carried out using a foundation of scientific merit, though alternative modalities are considered when necessary. Any combination of spinal disorders, from the cervical region in the neck to the lumbar region in the lower back are managed, including care of spine trauma, disk degeneration, spinal deformity, spine tumors and disk disorders with or without neurologic symptoms such as numbness, weakness or sciatica. We start with a careful history and physical examination followed by inspection of your prior diagnostic reports and imaging studies.
Dr. Gerling co-ordinates a large team of physician providers including rehabilitation doctors and physical therapists specialized in spinal disorders, and pain management doctors that perform spinal injections. Simple advice can be extremely helpful in many cases and most of our patients respond well to conservative treatment. When necessary we are also equipped to perform a full spectrum of surgical and pain management procedures on the spine, including spinal injections. We recommend an evaluation before undergoing injections, nerve ablations or a spinal cord stimulator trial by outside providers.
Education & Training
- Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Cleveland Medical CenterFellowship, Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine, 2005 - 2006
- Ochsner Clinic FoundationResidency, Orthopedic Surgery, 2000 - 2005
- University of California San Diego School of MedicineClass of 2000
Certifications & Licensure
- NJ State Medical License 2011 - 2023
- NY State Medical License 2006 - 2022
- OH State Medical License 2004 - 2007
- LA State Medical License 2001 - 2006
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- EDITORIAL REVIEWER: 1) Spine Journal 2) Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants 3) Yonsei Medical Journal, Korea 4) Medicine 2.0: Social Media and Web 2.0 in Health, Medicine and Biomedical
- Program Chairman Federation of Spine Associations, American Academy of Orthopedics
- Program Committee Cervical Spine Research Society
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- Readmission in elective spine surgery: Will short stays be beneficial to patientsAvery E. Brown, Hesham Saleh, Sara Naessig, Katherine E. Pierce, Waleed Ahmad, Cole Bortz, Haddy Alas, Irene Chern, Dennis Vasquez-Montes, Rivka C. Ihejirika, Frank A....> ;Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2020 Aug 1
- Complication Risk in Primary and Revision Minimally Invasive Lumbar Interbody Fusion: A Comparable Alternative to Conventional Open Techniques?:Cole Bortz, Haddy Alas, Frank A. Segreto, Samantha R. Horn, Christopher Varlotta, Avery E. Brown, Katherine E. Pierce, David H. Ge, Dennis Vasquez-Montes, Virginie Laf...> ;Global Spine Journal. 2020 Aug 1
- 1 citationsODI Cannot Account for All Variation in PROMIS Scores in Patients With Thoracolumbar DisordersPeter G. Passias, Samantha R. Horn, Frank A. Segreto, Cole Bortz, Katherine E. Pierce, Dennis Vasquez-Montes, John Y. Moon, Christopher Varlotta, Tina Raman, Nicholas ...> ;Global Spine Journal. 2020 Jun 1
- Join now to see all
- Two-year results of the prospective spine treatment outcomes study: An analysis of complication rates, predictors of their development, and effect on patientGerling MC, Radcliffe K, Isaacs R, et al., Spine
- Effectiveness of postoperative wound drains in one- and two-level cervical spine fusionsPoorman GW, Passias PG, Bianco KM, ... Gerling MC, International journal of spine surgery, 2014
- Mount Sinai Ventures Takes Stake in New Surgery CenterJanuary 22nd, 2019
- Cervical Spine Research SocietyMember
- Spanish, Russian, French
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: