Dr. Rao is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office30 W 24th St
New York, NY 10010Phone+1 212-366-5100Fax+1 212-366-6275
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Naresh C. Rao is board certified in Family Medicine and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment and holds a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine. He served on Team USA's Medical Team for the Summer Olympics in Tokyo 2021 as well as the Olympic Team USA Water Polo Physician for the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He continues to serve as a team physician for USA Water Polo. His critically acclaimed book, Step Up Your Game: The Revolutionary Program Elite Athletes Use to Increase Performance and Achieve Total Health, was published in 2016. Being touted as a playbook by which one can assemble her or his own "inner wellness dream team," the book sheds light on performance secrets elite athletes use and how to apply them to everyday life. The book has been the subject of medical research investigating its potential to create meaningful lifestyle changes for not only athletes but for patients who wish to live healthy lives and prevent disease. He is passionate about speaking on the topic, and has delivered keynote speeches nationwide. Dr. Rao had been practicing Sports and Wellness Medicine for ten years in San Diego, California before relocating back to his roots in New York in 2011. He had been on faculty as an instructor at the University of California San Diego, San Diego State University, and Western University of Health Sciences. He currently serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine as well as clinical faculty at NYU School of Medicine, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Family Medicine Residency, and Northwell Plainview Hospital Sports Medicine Fellowship. Dr. Rao is the Chairman of the New York Athletic Club's Saturday Morning Program, a sports program that has taught the Olympic tradition to children for over 127 years. He played club water polo at Colgate University, is a competitive tennis player, and completed the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon in 2006.
Education & Training
- Rutgers Health/Robert Wood Johnson Medical SchoolResidency, Family Medicine, 1998 - 2000
- NYIT College Of Osteopathic MedicineClass of 1997
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State License 1998 - 2024
- CA State License 2001 - 2024
- NJ State License 1999 - 2001
- American Board of Family Medicine Family Medicine
- AOA Board of Family Physicians Family Practice and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- AOA Board of Family Physicians Sports Medicine (CAQ)
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Notable Healthcare Leader Crain's New York Business, 2022
Publications & Presentations
- A comparative study of the effectiveness of an osteopathic primary care sports medicine led intervention on performance in men's collegiate lacrosse players.Naresh C Rao, Hallie Zwibel, Jenny Berezanskaya, Paul Pena, Min-Kyung Jung> ;Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2021 Nov 18
- How the elite athlete approach can set a new standard for health, education and careAugust 2022
- The Olympian-to-Physician PipelineSeptember 27th, 2021
- Patience, Plodding, PerseveranceAugust 6th, 2021
- To Vaccinate or Not? For U.S. Olympic Athletes, the Debate Creates DivisionJuly 29th, 2021
- Join now to see all
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelNew York, New York
- NYU Langone HospitalsNew York, New York
- Plainview HospitalPlainview, New York
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: