Dr. Afshar is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeUniversity Of California San Francisco
Box 0131, 533 Parnassus, Room U129
San Francisco, CA 94143Phone(415) 221-4810 x 22052
- Is this information wrong?
- Note: I am NOT the former postdoctoral fellow by the same name who left UCSF after findings of research misconduct.
I am a clinician educator at UCSF and emergency physician/internist based at the San Francisco VA (SFVA). My educational interests are point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) and acute care medicine. I founded and direct the Medicine Residency POCUS curriculum, one of the earliest comprehensive POCUS curricula among large academic medicine residency programs. I am Director of Education at the SFVA ED and VA Site Director for the Emergency Medicine Residency.
Education & Training
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health CentersResidency, Emergency Medicine, 2004 - 2006
- Stanford UniversityResidency, Emergency Medicine, 2001 - 2002
- UCSFInternship, Internal Medicine, 2000 - 2001
- University of Michigan Medical SchoolClass of 2000
Certifications & Licensure
- MI State Medical License 2004 - 2008
- CA State Medical License 2002 - 2022
- American Board of Emergency Medicine Emergency Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
Publications & Presentations
- 3 citationsPoint-of-Care Ultrasound Needs Assessment, Curriculum Design, and Curriculum Assessment in a Large Academic Internal Medicine Residency Program.James E. Anstey, Trevor P. Jensen, Nima Afshar> ;Southern Medical Journal. 2018 Jul 1
- 2 citationsSpinal epidural abscess with discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis.Will Carpenter, Nima Afshar, Kip Mihara> ;Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2012 May 9
- 43 citationsBlood cultures for community‐acquired pneumonia: Are they worthy of two quality measures? A systematic reviewNima Afshar, Jeffrey A. Tabas, Kia Afshar, Robert Silbergleit> ;Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2009 Feb 1
- Join now to see all
- San Francisco VA Medical CenterSan Francisco, California
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: