Dr. Azocar is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeBeth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Ave
Boston, MA 02215Phone+1 617-667-1345
- Is this information wrong?
- Ruben Azocar is a Senior Physician Executive who leverages clinical expertise, business acumen and people management skills to optimize organizational performance and patient care. He brings at 20+-year record of creating clinical programs that drive quality and revenue for academic medical centers in Boston. As a practicing anesthesiologist and teacher, Ruben is passionate about inspiring the next generation of physicians, and to that end, he has developed premier graduate medical education and research programs in multiple hospitals.
Ruben’s expertise includes strategic partnerships, growth initiatives, quality enhancement, process improvement and DEI activities. He is known as a consensus builder, with a talent for uniting stakeholders at all levels to achieve ambitious goals.
Currently, Ruben is Vice President of Perioperative Services at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He previously held clinical/operational as Professor and Chair of Anesthesiology at Tufts Medical Center; he also ran a surgical intensive care unit for Boston Medical Center.
In addition, Ruben has served in leadership positions for the Massachusetts and American Societies of Anesthesiology and as an examiner for the American Board of Anesthesiology.
Education & Training
- Harvard UniversityMHCM, Master in Healthcare Management , 2014 - 2016
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical SchoolFellowship, Critical Care Medicine (Anesthesiology), 2000 - 2001
- Boston University Medical CenterResidency, Anesthesiology, 1997 - 2000
- John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook CountyCritical Care Medicine, 1996 - 1997
- University of Miami/Jackson Health SystemResidency, Surgery, 1994 - 1996
- Central University of VenezuelaClass of 1993
Certifications & Licensure
- MA State Medical License 2000 - 2024
- IL State Medical License 1996 - 1999
- American Board of Anesthesiology Anesthesiology
- American Board of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Board Member Samaritans of Boston, 2023
- Fellow American Society of Anesthesiologists (FASA) American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2017
- True Blue Award Tufts Medical Center, 2015
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- 5 citationsThe B-APNEIC score: distilling the STOP-Bang questionnaire to identify patients at high risk for severe obstructive sleep apnoeaR. Morinigo, Sadeq A. Quraishi, S. Ewing, Ruben J. Azocar, R. Schumann> ;Anaesthesia. 2021 Sep 2
- Association of preoperative frailty with postoperative delirium in elderly orthopedic trauma patients.Shooka Esmaeeli, Esteban Franco-Garcia, Oluwaseun Akeju, Marilyn Heng, Carmen Zhou, Ruben J. Azocar, Sadeq A. Quraishi> ;Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2021 Aug 21
- 1 citationsAssociation of nutrition status and hospital-acquired infections in older adult orthopedic trauma patients.Anni Rong, Esteban Franco-Garcia, Carmen Zhou, Marilyn Heng, Oluwaseun Akeju, Ruben J. Azocar, Sadeq A. Quraishi> ;JPEN. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2021 Apr 15
- Join now to see all
- Hot Topics in Anesthesia + ACLS + NRP + PALSNorthwest Anesthesia Seminars, Inc., Las Vegas, Nevada - 9/9/2013
- 7th Ellison Pierce Symposium: Positioning Your ORs for the Future, a Business, Risk & Clinical UpdateBoston University School of Medicine Continuing Medical Education, Boston, Massachusetts - 5/3/2012
- Chair, ASA Committee in Geriatric Anesthesiology 2012 - 2014
- House of Delegates
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterBoston, Massachusetts
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: