Dr. Lakhan is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office1111 Brickell Ave
Miami, FL 33131
- Is this information wrong?
- Shaheen Lakhan, MD, PhD, FAAN, is a physician-scientist with over 15 years of experience in healthcare, academia, and industry focusing on neuroscience research and development. He is board-certified in both neurology and pain medicine, with clinical training from Cleveland Clinic and Massachusetts General Hospital. As an expert in patient-empowering clinical development from drugs to devices, Dr. Lakhan is keen on transforming medicine and democratizing health care through digital therapeutics (Click Therapeutics).
Previously, Dr. Lakhan served as faculty of leading institutions (Harvard Medical School, Case Western Reserve University), founding department chair and curricular dean (California University of Science and Medicine), institutional review board chair (Arrowhead Regional Medical Center), chief of pain management (Virginia Tech - Carilion Clinic), and executive/leadership positions in biopharma (Sage Therapeutics, Zogenix) and biotech (The Learning Corp, Fern Health). He continues to serve patients as a practicing neurologist and pain specialist (Cambridge Health Alliance) and is an adjunct professor of neuroscience (Virginia Tech).
In addition to exemplary clinical service, Dr. Lakhan has an extensive research, education, advocacy, and philanthropy portfolio. He has over 100 peer-reviewed publications, books, and book chapters. For founding the Global Neuroscience Initiative Foundation, he was bestowed the Harvard Medical School Dean's Community Service Award. He was also conferred the President's Call to Service Award for Lifetime Achievement by President George W. Bush and The U.S. Congressional Award Gold Medal by Senators Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Further, California Governor Brown and Virginia Governor Northam have appointed him to prestigious boards including the Health Professions Education Foundation awarding more than $200 million towards closing the health equity gap. He was inducted as Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
Education & Training
- Massachusetts General HospitalFellowship, Pain Medicine, 2014 - 2015
- Cleveland Clinic FoundationResidency, Internal Medicine, 2010 - 2014
- Cleveland Clinic FoundationResidency, Neurology, 2010 - 2014
- Technion-Israel Inst of Technology Faculty of MedicineClass of 2009, MD, Cum Laude
Certifications & Licensure
- TX State Medical License 2022 - 2025
- NJ State Medical License 2022 - 2025
- MI State Medical License 2022 - 2025
- CO State Medical License 2022 - 2025
- MA State Medical License 2014 - 2025
- PA State Medical License 2023 - 2024
- GA State Medical License 2022 - 2024
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Pain Medicine
- Join now to see all
- The Impact of Triptan and Doxycycline on Neuroinflammatory Biomarkers in Acute Migraine Start of enrollment: 2012 Jul 01
- A Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of SAGE-217 Compared to Placebo in Adult Participants With Comorbid Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Insomnia Start of enrollment: 2019 Feb 04
- A Study of the Efficacy and Safety of MT1621 in Thymidine Kinase 2 (TK2) Deficiency (Treatment naïve) Start of enrollment: 2022 Sep 30
Publications & Presentations
- Innovative Technologies in CNS Trials: Promises and Pitfalls for Recruitment, Retention, and Representativeness.Jacqueline Lutz, Abhishek Pratap, Eric J Lenze, Durga Bestha, Jessica M Lipschitz, Stella Karantzoulis, Uma Vaidyanathan, Jessica Robin, William Horan, Stephen Brannan...> ;Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience. 2023 Sep 1
- Editorial: Reviews in psychiatry 2022: aging psychiatry.Shaheen E Lakhan> ;Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2023 Jan 1
- 7 citationsAppropriate controls for digital therapeutic clinical trials: A narrative review of control conditions in clinical trials of digital therapeutics (DTx) deploying psych...Jacqueline Lutz, Emanuela Offidani, Laura Taraboanta, Shaheen E Lakhan, Timothy R Campellone> ;Frontiers in Digital Health. 2022 Jan 1
- Join now to see all
- Deep Sleep May Mitigate the Impact of Alzheimer’s PathologyMay 16th, 2023
- Click Therapeutics and Boehringer Ingelheim Initiate Pivotal Clinical Trial of Prescription Digital Therapeutics for the Treatment of Negative Symptoms in SchizophreniaMay 4th, 2023
- Click Therapeutics Initiates Fully Remote Pivotal Trial Using Investigational Prescription Digital Therapeutics to Treat Episodic MigraineApril 25th, 2023
- Join now to see all
- International Association for the Study of Pain - IASPMember
- Hebrew, Spanish
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: