Dr. Ziering is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeLGBTI Medicine; Family Practitioner
1201 Mount Kemble Avenue, Suite 2D (Harding Township)
Morristown, NJ 07960Phone(908) 221-1919Fax(908) 221-0404
- Is this information wrong?
- I am a classically trained, Board Certified Family Physician in Private Practice for over 28 years with a focus on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Medicine. My practice is 50% traditional families and 50% LGBTIQ families.
In addition to being an openly Gay Physician, I am fluent in Transitional Healthcare (hormone therapy for those in gender affirmation), HIV care, PEP, PREP and all aspects of Primary Care.
Having been a Chairman of Family Medicine at Morristown Medical Center and also the Medical Director of LGBTIQ Medicine at Summit Medical Group, I have had the unique experience of Private Practice, Urgent Care, Administrative Medicine and Corporate Medicine. I have been in Private Practice since 1990 and have found Private Practice and spending time getting to truly "know and Understand Patient Needs and Issues" leads to a better diagnosis and better compliance with patients. I typically see 10-12 patients a day and offer 1/2 hour to one hour appointments in an office set up as a "spa like setting" to decrease anxiety. Our exam rooms look like "small living rooms" for face to face discussions over a table and NOT a computer.
In addition, our Therapy Dog, Bentley, a trained and Certified Cockapoo engages our patients whether they suffer from medical or emotional complaints. We also have aromatherapy in the office and sound soothers to make the experience a uniquely friendly environment.
I am also a Nationally Recognized Speaker on LGBTIQ Medicine and have given over 40 lectures and discussions at Medical Schools, Annual Academy Meetings and to the Community. I consider myself a Humanist, focusing on the three tenants of medicine: Mind, Body and Spirit.
We also share space with a Psychotherapist, Alex Wieselman, LMFT, Ed.S in order to address mental health concerns in a collaborative manner.
Skills & Expertise
- Dermatology, Depression, Alternative medicine, Community Healthcare for the LGBTI Population, LGBTI Medicine, Traditional Family Medicine, Minor Office Dermatological Procedures, Mind:Body Medicine, Medical Marijuana for Pain and Anxiety Management
Education & Training
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetResidency, Family Medicine, 1987 - 1990
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical SchoolClass of 1987
- Muhlenberg CollegeB.S., Dual Major: Biology and Natural Science, Magna Cum Laude, 1983
Certifications & Licensure
- FL State Medical License 1990 - 1998
- NJ State Medical License 1988 - 2023
- American Board of Family Medicine Family Medicine
- American Board of Family PracticeFellow of the ABFP
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Most Compassionate Physician Award 2020
- Castille Connolly Guide to the Top Physicians in the Tristate Area Castille Connolly, 1992-2020
- Best of the Best; Doctors in New Jersey Inside New Jersey Magazine, 2019
- Join now to see all
- GSK1349572 Drug Interaction Study With Efavirenz Start of enrollment: 2010 Mar 16GSK Clinical Trials
Publications & Presentations
- Blessed: Corporate Medicine vs. Private PracticeThomas S. Ziering, MD, FAAFP, Perspectives; NJAFP, 12/2017
- LGBT Physician HealsSusan Levia, NJ Monthly
- Blessed: Private PracticeThomas S. Ziering, MD, Perspectives, NJAFP, 12/1/2017
- Quality Healthcare of Transgender People: How to Enact a Safe and Appropriate Transgender Healthcare Model for a Healthcare System.1/1/2017
- LGBTIQ Health Care Primer for the Primary Health Care Provider.Veteran�s Administration, 2016; Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2017 - 1/1/2017
- LGBTI and Gender Fluid Health Care: An Underserved Population at Significant Physical and Mental Health Risk.Seton Hall University - 1/5/2016
- Join now to see all
- Clinical Trials of Sustiva in the treatment of HIVInital treatments of protease inhibitors in the treament of HIV1992 - 1994
- Gay And Lesbian Medical AssociationBoard Member (1992-1998), Member 1998 - present
- New Jersey Academy of Family MedicineMember
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: