Dr. Lipsky is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeUniversity of Washington
Department of Medicine
Seattle, WA 98116
- Is this information wrong?
- I spent 36 years at the University of Washington as Professor of Medicine in General Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases and at VA Puget Sound as Director of the Primary Care Clinic. I then transitioned to the Universities of Oxford and Geneva from 2012 to 2018. I am now Professor of Medicine Emeritus at the University of Washington.
My clinical research has included investigations of urinary and prostate infections in men, clinical microbiology and infection control, but mainly skin and soft tissue and bone and joint infections, especially of the diabetic foot. I have authored over 300 scientific papers and several international guidelines, lectured extensively around the world and continue to be involved in clinical research and to consult to numerous administrative bodies and biopharmaceutical companies.
Education & Training
- University of Washington School of MedicineFellowship, Infectious Disease, 1977 - 1978
- University of Washington School of MedicineResidency, Internal Medicine, 1973 - 1977
- Weill Cornell MedicineClass of 1973
Certifications & Licensure
- WA State Medical License 1974 - 2023
- American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Infectious Disease
- Green Templeton College, University of OxfordAssociate Fellow, Teaching Associate
- Royal College of Physicians (London)Medicine
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, GlasgowFF PM RCPS (Glasg)
- UK full GMC Medical LicenseMedicine
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- MedStar Georgetown University Distinguished Achievement Award in Diabetic Limb Salvage Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2020
- Lifetime Achievement Award VA Society of Practitions of Infectious Diseases, 2016
- Karel Bakker Foot Award from the International Symposium on the Diabetic Foot, The Hague, Netherlands International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot, 2015
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- Treatment Failures in Diabetic Foot Osteomyelitis Associated with Concomitant Charcot Arthropathy: The Role of Underlying Arteriopathy.Felix Wa Waibel, Madlaina Schöni, Leo Kronberger, Andreas Flury, Martin C Berli, Benjamin A. Lipsky, Ilker Uçkay, Lukas Jud> ;International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2022 Jan 1
- The association of chronic, enhanced immunosuppression with outcomes of diabetic foot infections.Ilker Uçkay, Madlaina Schöni, Martin C Berli, Fabian Niggli, Emil Noschajew, Benjamin A. Lipsky, Felix W A Waibel> ;Endocrinology, diabetes & metabolism. 2021 Oct 5
- Treating Diabetic Foot Osteomyelitis: A Practical State-of-the-Art Update.Benjamin A. Lipsky, Ilker Uçkay> ;Medicina-lithuania. 2021 Apr 1
- Join now to see all
- International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot, Editorial Board 2014 - Present
- UK Medical Health Regulatory Association, Independent Scientific Advisory Committee 2012 - 2015
- Research interestsDiabetic foot infections, skin/soft tissue infections, osteomyelitis, prostatitis and urinary tract infections in men, pertussis, clinical microbiology
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: