Dr. Zalta is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficePO Box 670527
MSB Room 5110
Cincinnati, OH 45267Phone+1 513-558-0815Fax+1 513-558-3108
- Is this information wrong?
- Alan H. Zalta, M.D. specialized and limited his practice to the medical and surgical therapy of glaucoma. From 1984 through 2019, he was Director of the Glaucoma Service in the Department of Ophthalmology at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine where he was an affiliated Clinical Professor. He was also Director of Medical Student Education for the Department of Ophthalmology from 1984-2000 and has been honored with three awards for Resident teaching. Dr. Zalta has been a partner at the Cincinnati Eye Institute since 2006 and has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Doctors in America from 2001 through 2019. While Dr. Zalta retired from his medical practice in August 2019, he remains active in the UC Department of Ophthalmology as an Emeritus Professor.
Dr. Zalta developed stereoscopic teaching atlases of glaucomatous disc damage and gonioscopy, published many original articles and book chapters, produced numerous teaching videotapes, and taught many courses at local, national, and international meetings for the last 30 years. In 2012, the American Academy of Ophthalmology honored Dr. Zalta with a Senior Achievement Award for his long commitment to teaching his peers (over 90 total courses, exhibits, presentations, or videos). Dr. Zalta had also developed an expertise in aqueous shunt implant surgery and was a visiting Professor at numerous universities.
In his free time, Dr. Zalta enjoys a daily workout, reading science fiction, and spending time with his family.
Education & Training
- Ochsner Clinic FoundationFellowship, Glaucoma, 1983 - 1984
- University of Arkansas for Medical SciencesResidency, Ophthalmology, 1979 - 1983
- Baylor College of MedicineInternship, Internal Medicine, 1978 - 1979
- McGovern Medical School at UTHealthClass of 1978
Certifications & Licensure
- KY State Medical License 1993 - 2015
- OH State Medical License 1984 - 2023
- LA State Medical License 1983 - 1984
- AR State Medical License 1980 - 1985
- TX State Medical License 1978 - 2021
- American Board of Ophthalmology Ophthalmology
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Best Doctors in America Best Doctors, Inc., 2001-2019
- Resident Teaching Award University of Cincinnati Dept. of Ophthalmology, 1990, 2005, 2013
- Senior Achievement Award American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2012
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- 8 citationsLong-term experience of patch graft failure after Ahmed Glaucoma Valve® surgery using donor dura and sclera allografts.Alan H. Zalta> ;Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers & Imaging. 2012 Sep 1
- 14 citationsPeripheral iridoplasty efficacy in refractory topiramate-associated bilateral acute angle-closure glaucoma.Alan H. Zalta, Ryan T. Smith> ;Archives of Ophthalmology. 2008 Nov 10
- 6 citationsSilicone Oil Pupillary Block: An Exception to Combined Argon–Nd:YAG Laser Iridotomy Success in Angle-closure GlaucomaAlan H. Zalta, Nariman S. Boyle, Alyson K. Zalta> ;Archives of Ophthalmology. 2007 Jul 1
- Join now to see all
- Long-term experience of patch graft failure after Ahmed Glaucoma Valve surgery using donor dura and sclera allografts.Zalta, A. H., Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging 43(5): 408-415, 2012
- Lens rim artifact in automated threshold perimetryZalta, A. H., Ophthalmology 96(9): 1302-11, 1989
- Director, Annual UC Ophthalmology Research Symposium 2005 - 2019
- American Glaucoma SocietyMember
- University of Cincinnati Medical CenterCincinnati, Ohio
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: