Dr. Birckhead is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office116 N. Robertson Blvd.
Pacific Theaters Building, Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Is this information wrong?
- My research interest is in the use of immersive technology in healthcare. Immersive technology encompasses virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality(MR) platforms. I am working with VR researchers to develop research methodology to improve the quality of clinical studies made to assess the impact of immersive technology.
Education & Training
- Medical College of WisconsinResidency, Radiation Oncology, 2017 - 2018
- University of Tennessee Graduate School of MedicineInternship, Transitional Year, 2016 - 2017
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and ScienceClass of 2016
- University of TennesseeBS, Biology, Summa Cum Laude, 2007 - 2011
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License 2018 - 2022
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Brainstorm VR/AR Innovation Lab Finalist 3rd Annual Innovations in Psychiatry and Behavioral Health: Virtual Reality and Behavior Change, 2017
Publications & Presentations
- Home-based virtual reality for chronic pain: protocol for an NIH-supported randomised-controlled trial.Brandon Birckhead, Sam A. Eberlein, Genie Alvarez, Rebecca Gale, Taylor Dupuy, Katherine Makaroff, Garth Fuller, Xiaoyu Liu, Kyung-Sang Yu, Jeanne T. Black, Mariko L. ...> ;BMJ Open. 2021 Jun 15
- 3 citationsAn 8-Week Self-Administered At-Home Behavioral Skills-Based Virtual Reality Program for Chronic Low Back Pain: Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial Condu...Laura M Garcia, Brandon Birckhead, Parthasarathy Krishnamurthy, Josh Sackman, Ian G Mackey, Robert G Louis, Vafi Salmasi, Todd Maddox, Beth D. Darnall> ;Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2021 Feb 22
- Correction: Self-Administered Behavioral Skills-Based At-Home Virtual Reality Therapy for Chronic Low Back Pain: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial.Laura M Garcia, Beth D Darnall, Parthasarathy Krishnamurthy, Ian G Mackey, Josh Sackman, Robert G Louis, Todd Maddox, Brandon J Birckhead> ;JMIR research protocols. 2021 Feb 12
- Join now to see all
- Medical Education w/ 360 degree videoOctober 2017
- Augmented Reality in Healthcare Will Be RevolutionaryOctober 26th, 2019
- In-Depth: Therapeutic VR in 2018 Is No Longer Just a Distraction (Therapy)May 18th, 2018
- How a Pediatric Cardiologist Uses VR to Educate on Congenital Heart ConditionsJune 3rd, 2019
- Co-Chair, The VRARA Digital Health Committee 2017 - 2018
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterLos Angeles, California
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: