Dr. Stephens is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office719 Thompson Ln
Nashville, TN 37204Phone(615) 875-5100
- Is this information wrong?
- A native of Middle Tennessee, Dr. Stephens graduated from Vanderbilt University Magna Cum Laude. He then went on to attend the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, where he was awarded the Faculty Medal for achieving the highest academic class rank in his graduating class. He then completed his residency at the Campbell Clinic, which publishes the definitive orthopaedic textbook, Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics. In his final year of residency, he was selected as the Administrative Chief Resident. He then completed his fellowship in Spine Surgery at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, where he studied under world-renown leaders in spine surgery at the Emory Spine Center.
While Dr. Stephens enjoys taking care of all conditions of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, he has a special clinical and research interest in spinal deformity (scoliosis), spinal oncology, and cervical spine disorders. When appropriately indicated, he also offers his patients minimally-invasive and motion-preserving procedures, such as minimally-invasive lumbar fusion, cervical laminoplasty, posterior cervical foraminotomy, and cervical disc arthroplasty.
Education & Training
- Emory University HospitalFellowship, Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine, 2015 - 2016
- Campbell Clinic & Surgical CenterResidency, Orthopedic Surgery, 2010 - 2015
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of MedicineClass of 2010
- Vanderbilt UniversityBS, Magna Cum Laude
Certifications & Licensure
- AL State Medical License 2020 - 2020
- TN State Medical License 2016 - 2022
- GA State Medical License 2015 - 2018
- VA State Medical License 2013 - 2016
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Founder's Medal - #1 ranked student in graduating medical school class University of Tennessee College of Medicine, 2010
Publications & Presentations
- Delayed Upper Aerodigestive Tract Perforation from Anterior Cervical Spine Hardware: Treatment and Swallowing OutcomesHannah G Kay, Benjamin R. Campbell, Jean-Nicolas Gallant, Catherine Carlile, Patty W. Wright, Byron F. Stephens, Sarah L. Rohde> ;Dysphagia. 2021 Sep 12
- Thoracolumbar Spine Trauma.William Hunter Waddell, Rishabh Gupta, Byron F. Stephens> ;Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2021 Jul 29
- Reply to Letter to the Editor: Spinopelvic Dissociation: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.Phillip M. Mitchell, Byron F. Stephens> ;Journal of The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2021 Jun 18
- Join now to see all
- Chance to Sing for the Pope Motivates Cancer PatientJanuary 26th, 2017
- Spine Surgery Helps Patient Take Steps Toward His DreamMay 7th, 2021
- Dr. Raymond Gardocki: Adding Endoscopic Spine at Vanderbilt & How COVID Changed How He Performs Spine SurgeryNovember 21st, 2020
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterNashville, Tennessee
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: