Dr. Kuo is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office1601B Trinity St Stop Z1500
Austin, TX 78712Phone+1 512-495-5557Fax+1 512-495-5610
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. John Kuo is a board-certified neurosurgeon-scientist who serves as Vice President of Medical Affairs and Chair Professor at China Medical University in Taichung, Taiwan. He is a senior leader at this top private university composed of 10 colleges and schools, over 7000 students and trainees, and an integrated academic health system of major hospitals and clinics with over 6000 beds across Taiwan.
He also is a Professor and served as the past-Inaugural Chair of the Dept. of Neurosurgery at Dell Medical School of The University of Texas at Austin. He received his MD from Harvard Medical School, PhD degree from MIT. He specializes in surgery for brain tumors, pituitary tumors, stereotactic radiosurgery for brain tumors, brain metastases and trigeminal neuralgia, and clinical management of complex brain tumor conditions. Dr. Kuo leads a research group that studies cancer stem cell biology, developing new cancer diagnostics and therapeutics, and leading clinical trials of new cancer agents. at UT Austin, he started a department of neurosurgeons and scientists dedicated to advancing the clinical care, full spectrum research and educational frontiers for children and adults with brain and spine diseases via new surgical techniques and devices, novel biological and immunotherapies, biomedical sciences and engineering new technologies in multidisciplinary teams focused on advancing brain-computer interface, neurorehabilitation, brain and spine trauma, cerebrovascular/stroke and brain tumor translational research groups. He was also Surgical director and helped lead the UT Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences, an interdisciplinary enterprise of Neurosurgery, Neurology, Psychiatry, and Basic Neurosciences focused on improving outcomes for patients with neurological disorders.
Education & Training
- University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical CenterResidency, Neurological Surgery, 1998 - 2005
- University of Southern California/LACUSC Medical CenterFellowship, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, 2002 - 2003
- Harvard Medical SchoolClass of 1998
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License 1999 - 2025
- TX State Medical License 2018 - 2024
- WI State Medical License 2005 - 2019
- American Board of Neurological Surgery Neurological Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Top Doctors Austin Monthly, 2020-2022
- America's Top Doctors Castle Connolly, 2012-2022
- Fellow (FAANS) American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Join now to see all
- Imaging Trial With I-124-CLR1404 in Patients With Newly Diagnosed or Recurrent Glioblastoma Start of enrollment: 2014 Feb 01
Publications & Presentations
- Developing an AI-assisted planning pipeline for hippocampal avoidance whole brain radiotherapy.Chih-Yuan Lin, Lin-Shan Chou, Yuan-Hung Wu, John S Kuo, Minesh P Mehta, An-Cheng Shiau, Ji-An Liang, Shih-Ming Hsu, Ti-Hao Wang> ;Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2023 Apr 1
- Emerging Frontiers of Therapeutic Strategies for Brain Tumors: A NeuroMolecular Medicine Special Issue.Vishwanath R Iyer, John S Kuo> ;Neuromolecular Medicine. 2022 Mar 1
- 1 citationsCharacterizing the relationship between lesion-activation distance using fMRI and verbal measures in brain tumor patientsSean P. Riley, Daniel Y. Chu, Veena A. Nair, Mustafa K. Baskaya, John S. Kuo, Mary E. Meyerand, Vivek Prabhakaran> ;Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery. 2022 Mar 1
- Join now to see all
- Potential CAR T Cell Immunotherapy Against Diffuse Midline GliomasJohn Kuo, MD, Neurosurgery
- UW Study Uses 'Bio-Panning' to Find Human Antibodies for Brain Cancer Stem CellsNovember 27th, 2017
- Coming Soon: Glow-in-the-Dark Cancer SurgeryJanuary 20th, 2017
- Tumor-Targeting Agent Attaches to Cancer Cells: Study - US NewsJune 11th, 2014
- Join now to see all
- Executive Committee, AANS/CNS Joint Section on Tumors 2013 - Present
- Member, AANS Digital Content Committee 2020 - 2022
- Co-Chair, UW Madison Biological Sciences Executive Committee 2017 - 2018
- Chair, AANS Memberships Committee 2015 - 2018
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: