Dr. Tokish is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office5777 E Mayo Blvd
Phoenix, AZ 85054Phone(480) 342-2000Fax(480) 342-2525
- Is this information wrong?
- John M. Tokish, M.D. is an orthopedic surgeon at Mayo Clinic Arizona, where he performs arthroscopic shoulder, elbow and knee surgery. His interests include shoulder instability, rotator cuff pathology, biceps pathology and throwing shoulder as well as shoulder arthroplasty. Dr. Tokish also has a significant interest in knee ligament reconstruction, meniscus treatment, cartilage restoration techniques, complex knee disorders, chondral preservation surgery and is active in the area of orthobiologics. Dr. Tokish earned his medical degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle and completed his residency at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center. He completed an Orthopedics Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado, and then returned to the US Air Force Academy where he was Chief of Sports Medicine and head Team Physician. His military service included 2 deployments and he finished as the Orthopedic Residency Director at Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii. Dr. Tokish then became part of the Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas where he was the research director and Fellowship Director. He joined the Mayo Clinic in 2017, and is currently a Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship Director, and the team Orthopedic Consultant for the Arizona Coyotes of the NHL. He has over 100 peer reviewed publications, has authored more than 40 book chapters, and given over 350 national /international presentations in the field of sports medicine and shoulder reconstruction . His research includes NIH and PCORI funded grants in the area of orthobiologics and rotator cuff reconstruction. Mayo Clinic Arizona is ranked #1 in Arizona by U.S. News & World Report.
Education & Training
- Steadman Hawkins ClinicFellowship, Sports Medicine, 2000 - 2001
- University of ArizonaResidency, Orthopedic Surgery, 1995 - 2000
- University of WashingtonClass of 1995
Certifications & Licensure
- AZ State Medical License 2017 - 2023
- SC State Medical License 2014 - 2019
- CO State Medical License 2000 - 2015
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Circumferential Lesions of the Glenoid Labrum Start of enrollment: 2003 Jan 01Tokish, J.M.
Publications & Presentations
- Biomechanical evaluation of an intramedullary clavicle screw in simple oblique and butterfly wedge fractures.Bryce F Kunkle, John D. DesJardins, Joel R Campbell, Josef K. Eichinger, Michael J. Kissenberth, Kenneth Aaron Shaw, John M. Tokish, Stephen A. Parada> ;Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part H, Journal of engineering in medicine. 2021 Jul 21
- Nonoperative and Operative Soft-Tissue, Cartilage, and Bony Regeneration and Orthopaedic Biologics of the Shoulder: An Orthoregeneration Network (ON) Foundation Review.Nolan B. Condron, Benjamin S. Kester, John M. Tokish, Matthias A. Zumstein, Reuben Gobezie, Markus Scheibel, Brian J. Cole> ;Arthroscopy. 2021 Jul 20
- Persistent joint pain and arm function in former baseball players.Garrett S Bullock, Kristen Nicholson, Brian R. Waterman, Eric Niesen, Paul A. Salamh, Charles A. Thigpen, Ellen Shanley, Laurie Devaney, John M. Tokish, Gary S. Collin...> ;JSES international. 2021 Sep 1
- Join now to see all
- 13 Orthopedic Surgeons Win AOSSM Research Grants FeaturedFebruary 13th, 2016
- Dr. Brian Cole Presenting at AOSSM & AAOS Meeting — 4 FactsFebruary 13th, 2016
- Autograft vs Allograft ACL ReconstructionFebruary 12th, 2016
- Mayo Clinic HospitalPhoenix, Arizona
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: