Dr. Summergrad is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeTufts Medical Center
800 Washington St. #1007
Boston, MA 02111Phone(617) 636-5773Fax(617) 636-8442
- Is this information wrong?
- Paul Summergrad, M.D., is the Dr. Frances S. Arkin professor and chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and professor of medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine and psychiatrist-in-chief at Tufts Medical Center. In 2014-15, Dr. Summergrad served as the 141st president of the American Psychiatric Association, and is a past president of the American Association of Chairs of Departments of Psychiatry.
An international leader in medical psychiatric disorders and care, Dr. Summergrad’s research focuses on mood disorders, medical-psychiatric co-morbidity, and health system design. He has published extensively with over 100 peer review publications, book chapters and other communications. He has edited three books: Integrated Care in Psychiatry, Primary Care Psychiatry, and the forthcoming Textbook of Medical Psychiatry. He served on the editorial boards of Academic Psychiatry and at present Current Psychiatry and Personalized Medicine in Psychiatry
He was a member of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 Steering Committee of the American Psychiatric Association and the Standing Committee on Nominations of the World Psychiatric Association where he currently serves on the Standing Committee on Finances and from which he received Honorary Membership. He chaired the work group of the APA board of the role of psychiatry in health care reform which commissioned the Milliman report on the total health care costs associated with psychiatric illness. He is a distinguished fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a fellow of the American College of Psychiatrists, the American College of Physicians and of the Royal College of Physicians - Edinburgh and has received numerous other awards and honors. He received the Distinguished Faculty Award from Tufts University School of Medicine in 2015 and the Leadership award of the American Association of Chairs of Departments of Psychiatry in 2018.
Education & Training
- Massachusetts General HospitalResidency, Psychiatry, 1982 - 1985
- Boston University Medical CenterResidency, Internal Medicine, 1978 - 1981
- University at BuffaloClass of 1978
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 1982 - 2022
- MA State Medical License 1980 - 2023
- American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Psychosomatic Medicine
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- America's Top Doctors Castle Connolly, 2011-2016
- Boston Magazine Castle Connolly, 2010-2012
- Top MD Consumers Checkbook
Publications & Presentations
- Plasma Anthranilic Acid and Leptin Levels Predict HAM-D Scores in Depressed Women.Johann Steiner, Henrik Dobrowolny, Paul C. Guest, Hans-Gert Bernstein, Dietmar Fuchs, Julien Roeser, Paul Summergrad, Gregory F. Oxenkrug> ;International journal of tryptophan research : IJTR. 2021 May 19
- 1 citationsPlasma leptin correlates with anthranilic acid in schizophrenia but not in major depressive disorder.Johann Steiner, H.-G. Bernstein, Paul C. Guest, Paul Summergrad, Gregory F. Oxenkrug> ;European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020 Aug 24
- Benserazide, an Inhibitor of Peripheral Kynurenine Metabolism, Attenuates Olanzapine-Induced Weight Gain, Insulin Resistance, and Dyslipidemia in C57Bl/6j MiceGregory F. Oxenkrug, Paul Summergrad> ;Molecular Neurobiology. 2020 Jan 1
- Join now to see all
- Companies Around the World Broaden Offerings to Enhance Mental Health, Wellness OptionsMarch 6th, 2020
- Mind-Altering, Ketamine-like Drug OK’d for Severe DepressionNovember 30th, 2019
- Spirituality in the Psychiatric OfficeMay 20th, 2019
- Join now to see all
- Past President
- Tufts Medical CenterBoston, Massachusetts
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: