Dr. Kumar is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office3400 West Lomita
Torrance, CA 90502Phone(310) 539-2630
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Ravin Kumar is board certified in both General and Colon and Rectal Surgery and had been in South-bay area over fifteen years. He is an Attending Surgeon at Torrance Memorial Medical Center and Providence Little Company of Mary Hospital. He is the Chief of Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Harbor UCLA Medical Center and Professor of Surgery at David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine. Recently he got appointed as one of the Governors to the American College of Surgeons. He is also the past President of the Southern California Society of the Colon and Rectal Surgeons.
Dr. Kumar is well experienced and an expert in Complex Open Abdominal, Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery for Colorectal Cancer. His Clinical and Research interests involve optimizing surgical care and outcome for Colorectal Cancer, Diverticular disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and other disorders. He had presented several research abstracts in the recent years in national meetings and had published several papers in peer-reviewed journals and also edited and written book chapters.
Dr. Kumar completed his General Surgery Residency and Research at Yale University and Yale Affiliated Residency Program and his Colon and Rectal Surgery Training at University of Texas School of Medicine in Houston. Dr. Kumar received additional postgraduate training in Surgery in United Kingdom and he is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. Prior to moving to South-bay he was in an academic practice in Atlanta affiliated with Emory University for five years.
He volunteers with the Civil Air Patrol – United States Air Force as a Health, Safety and Professional Development Officer. He is very active with the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) activities and serves as a Mission Transport Pilot. The CAP activities includes Search and Rescue Operations and Aerospace Education.
Education & Training
- University of Texas Health Science Center at HoustonResidency, Colon and Rectal Surgery, 1995 - 1996
- Yale-New Haven HospitalResidency, Surgery, 1993 - 1995
- Yale-New Haven HospitalPost-Doctoral Fellowship, Gastrointestinal Patho-biology Lab, 1990 - 1992
- University of Peradeniya Faculty of MedicineClass of 1983
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License 1998 - 2024
- GA State Medical License 1997 - 2003
- TX State Medical License 1996 - 1997
- CT State Medical License 1994 - 1997
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery Colon & Rectal Surgery
- American Board of Surgery Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Membership with Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Fellowship with Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow, Scotland
- Fellow (FACS) American College of Surgeons
Publications & Presentations
- 57 citationsLong-term Results of Ligation of Intersphincteric Fistula Tract (lift) for Fistula-in-anoWendy Y. Liu, Armen Aboulian, Amy H. Kaji, Ravin R. Kumar> ;Diseases of The Colon & Rectum. 2013 Mar 1
- 111 citationsPractice parameters for the management of perianal abscess and fistula-in-ano.Scott R. Steele, Ravin R. Kumar, Daniel L. Feingold, Janice L. Rafferty, W. Donald Buie> ;Diseases of The Colon & Rectum. 2011 Dec 1
- 60 citationsEarly Result of Ligation of the Intersphincteric Fistula Tract for Fistula-in-AnoArmen Aboulian, Amy H. Kaji, Ravin R. Kumar> ;Diseases of The Colon & Rectum. 2011 Mar 1
- Join now to see all
- Colorectal cancer and colorectal resectionsKumar, Ravin R., MD, International Journal Colon and Rectal Diseases, 1/1/2007
- Colorectal cancer and colorectal resectionsKumar, Ravin R., MD, Journal of Colorectal Diseases, 1/1/2007
- Colorectal cancer and colorectal resectionsKumar, Ravin R., MD, American Surgeon, 1/1/2007
- Novel Technique "LIFT Procedure for Fistula in Ano"Kumar, Ravin R., MD, Journal of the Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, American Society of the Colorectal Surgeons National Congress (ASCRS) meeting, MN, 2010, 1/1/2011
- Role of Water Soluble Enema in Low Pelvic Anatomosis, Enhanced Recovery Program after Colon Resection, Early results of a Novel Technique for Fistula in Ano1/1/2009
- CEA and Colorectal Cancer1/1/2008
- "Management of Perianal Abscesses and Fistula In Ano"Kumar, Ravin R., MD, Standards Committee of American Society of Colorectal Surgeons Standard Practice Guidelines
- "Treatment of Fecal Incontinence"Kumar, Ravin R., MD, Standards Committee of American Society of Colorectal Surgeons Standard Practice Guidelines
- Oxygen Shortage: Kin Say Hospitals Turning Away Covid PatientsApril 30th, 2021
- Harbor-UCLA Medical CenterTorrance, California
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center - TorranceTorrance, California
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterTorrance, California
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: