Dr. Abdel-Misih is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeStony Brook University Hospital
HSC T18 Room 065
Stony Brook, NY 11794Phone+1 631-444-8086
- Is this information wrong?
- I’m an Associate Professor of Surgery and surgical oncologist at the Stony Brook University with a focus on treating patients with a variety of gastrointestinal cancers. My areas of expertise include appendiceal cancer, metastatic colorectal cancer, gastric cancer, and peritoneal surface malignancies (appendix, colon, gastric, peritoneal mesothelioma). I’m driven by a desire to pursue effective and less invasive surgical treatments when appropriate, but sometimes surgical therapies require an aggressive, more invasive strategy to achieve the goals of disease control and potential cure. Like my colleagues, I’m inspired every day by my patients to work to pioneer therapies to lead us closer to a cancer-free world.
While at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital, I was honored for excellent clinical care being rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction as well as a Top Doctor in Columbus, OH according to Castle Connolly (2017, 2018, 2019) and by Columbus Monthly Magazine (2017, 2018)
I served an education role as Associate Program Director for the General Surgery Residency at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center as well as the surgery medical student clerkship director (Surgery Unit Director) for The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
In my transition to the Stony Brook University Hospital, I aim to carry on the academic pursuit of excellence in my clinical care, surgical education, and cancer research.
Education & Training
- Ohio State University HospitalFellowship, Complex General Surgical Oncology, 2008 - 2010
- Cleveland Clinic FoundationResidency, Surgery, 2003 - 2008
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson UniversityClass of 2003
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 2019 - 2024
- OH State Medical License 2003 - 2019
- DE State Medical License Current
- American Board of Surgery Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- CMS Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification EpicCare Ambulatory EMR, Epic Systems Corporation, 2012-2013
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
Publications & Presentations
- Radiological assessment of persistent retroperitoneal and lateral pelvic lymph nodes after neoadjuvant therapy for rectal cancer: An analysis of the United States Rect...Michael K. Turgeon, Adriana C. Gamboa, Jessica M Keilson, Jeffrey Maniko, Lillias H. Maguire, Katherine Hrebinko, Jennifer Holder-Murray, Jason T. Wiseman, Sherif Abde...> ;Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2021 Jul 16
- 1 citationsA US Rectal Cancer Consortium Study of Inferior Mesenteric Artery Versus Superior Rectal Artery Ligation: How High Do We Need to Go?Michael K. Turgeon, Adriana C. Gamboa, Scott E. Regenbogen, Jennifer Holder-Murray, Sherif Abdel-Misih, Alexander T. Hawkins, Matthew L. Silviera, Shishir K. Maithel, ...> ;Diseases of The Colon & Rectum. 2021 Jun 24
- 2 citationsPredictors of Non-home Discharge after Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy.Boateng Kubi, Jonathan Gunn, Nadege Fackche, Jordan M. Cloyd, Sherif Abdel-Misih, Travis E. Grotz, Jennifer L. Leiting, Keith Fournier, Andrew J. Lee, Sean P. Dineen, ...> ;Journal of Surgical Research. 2020 Nov 1
- Join now to see all
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: