Dr. Woolf is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeMUSC Health West Ashley
2060 Sam Rittenberg Blvd
Charleston, SC 29407Phone(843) 876-0111
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Shane K. Woolf completed his undergraduate degree at Princeton University and then earned his medical degree from the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine in 1998. He completed residency in orthopaedic surgery, including two years as a research fellow, at the Medical University of South Carolina, then went on to complete a sports medicine fellowship at the Taos Orthopaedic Institute in Taos, New Mexico. He is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon and holds a certificate of added qualification in orthopaedic sports medicine. In 2013, he was appointed chief of sports medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. His practice includes injuries to athletes of all levels and ages, with particular interests in shoulder, knee and hip problems. Along with other members of the MUSC Health sports medicine team, he provides medical coverage and support as head team physician to the Charleston Battery, Charleston Riverdogs, as well as the Volvo Car Open tennis tournament, numerous high schools, and other sports organizations in the Lowcountry. Dr. Woolf has served in the medical pool for the United States Ski and Snowboard Team. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy Association of North America, American Orthopaedic Association. He is vice-president of the South Carolina Orthopaedic Association and a past president of the Charleston County Medical Society.
Dr. Woolf's clinical interests include knee and shoulder injuries, rotator cuff disorders, shoulder instability, shoulder arthritis and replacement, knee instability, anterior cruciate ligament injury (ACL), meniscus tears, cartilage injury, and non-arthritic hip pain.
Education & Training
- Taos Orthopaedic Institute & Research FoundationFellowship, Sports Medicine, 2005 - 2006
- Medical University of South CarolinaResidency, Orthopedic Surgery, 2000 - 2005
- Medical University of South CarolinaInternship, Transitional Year, 1998 - 1999
- Penn State University Affiliated HospitalsClass of 1998
Certifications & Licensure
- NM State Medical License 2005 - 2008
- SC State Medical License 1999 - 2023
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- CMS Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification EpicCare Ambulatory EMR, Epic Systems Corporation, 2012-2013
Publications & Presentations
- COVID-19 Modifications of Offseason and Preseason Training for NFL Athletes Are Associated with Increased Risk of Regular Season Injuries.Evan P. Bailey, J. Brett Goodloe, Rachel A McNeely, Sophia A. Traven, Shane K. Woolf, Harris S. Slone> ;The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 2021 Sep 8
- Preoperative Quadratus Lumborum Block Reduces Opioid Requirements in the Immediate Postoperative Period Following Hip Arthroscopy: A Randomized, Blinded Clinical Trial.Sylvia H. Wilson, Renuka M. George, Jennifer R. Matos, Dulaney A. Wilson, Walter J. Johnson, Shane K. Woolf> ;Arthroscopy. 2021 Jul 31
- Deep learning provides high accuracy in automated chondrocyte viability assessment in articular cartilage using nonlinear optical microscopy.Xun Chen, Yang Li, Nicole Wyman, Zheng Zhang, Hongming Fan, Michael Le, Steven Gannon, Chelsea Rose, Zhao Zhang, Jeremy Mercuri, Hai Yao, Bruce Z. Gao, Shane K. Woolf,...> ;Biomedical Optics Express. 2021 May 1
- Join now to see all
- Closed reduction of shoulder dislocations in the emergency department: does an emergency medicine residency affect the orthopaedic resident experience?Mondestin M, Barfield WR, Griffith A, Smalley J, Woolf SK, Current Orthopedic Practice, 11/2017
- Am I Too Old for for This Sh*T?February 14th, 2019
- MUSC Health of Medical University of South CarolinaCharleston, South Carolina
- Ralph H. Johnson Veterans Affairs Medical CenterCharleston, South Carolina
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: