Dr. Kaiser is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
OfficeCity of Hope National Medical Center (NCCN-Comprehensive Cancer Center)
1500 E. Duarte Road, MALP 2230
Duarte, CA 91010Phone+1 626-218-7100Fax+1 626-218-8113
- Is this information wrong?
- Andreas M Kaiser, MD FACS FASCRS, is Professor and Chief of the Division of Colorectal Surgery at City of Hope National Medical Center, a NCCN-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Prior, he was faculty at USC 2000-2019. He graduated in 1988 from the University of Zurich (Switzerland). After an internship in Surgical Pathology, he trained in General Surgery at the University Hospital of Zurich (1990-1998), incl. 2 years of research at Harvard Medical School/Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. He did a fellowship in Visceral Surgery in Zurich and in Colorectal Surgery at USC. Dr. Kaiser served as the Interim Chairman of the Department of Colorectal Surgery at USC (2008-2009). He is board-certified in General Surgery and in Visceral Surgery by the Swiss Board of Surgery FMH, and in Coloproctology by the European Surgery Qualification Board. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (FASCRS), a member of several professional associations/committees, incl. the NIH Advisory Board for the Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Network of the National Institutes of Health.
He has extensive experience in the most complex colorectal diseases and serves as referral center for challenging pathologies beyond the scope of many other hospitals. Comprehensive/interdisciplinary management of malignant AND benign diseases are routine as are the newest technologies (e.g. robotic and laparoscopic surgery, TEMS, advanced colonoscopies, continent ileostomy (T-pouch), or sacral nerve stimulation and implants for fecal incontinence).
Research focus is Colorectal Cancer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Diverticulitis, and Fecal Incontinence. Among numerous publications are his own book "McGraw-Hill Manual of Colorectal Surgery", the 2020 5th ed. of “Chassin’s Operative Strategy in Surgery”, the “SAGES Manual in Colorectal Surgery”. He is Editor-in-Chief of "Clin Exp Gastroenterol", and Assoc Editor of "DCR", the official ASCRS journal.
- Diverticulitis, Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Colonoscopy, Colorectal cancer, Familial adenomatous polyposis, Rectal prolapse, Fecal incontinence, Hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer, Colorectal adenocarcinoma, Lynch syndrome, Rectovaginal fistula, Enterocutaneous fistula, Colorectal polyps, Adenocarcinoma of the colon, Carcinoid tumor of the rectum, Total colectomy, Subtotal colectomy, Segmental colectomy, Proctocolectomy, Colostomy, Ileostomy, Transanal endoscopic microsurgery, Rectopexy, Sphincteroplasty, Hemorrhoidectomy, Hemorrhoidopexy, Sacral neuromodulation, Recto-urethral fistula, Recto-bladder neck fistula, Colon cancer, Robotic surgery, Colon surgery, Continent ileostomy, Ileoanal reservoir, Ileoanal anastomosis surgery, Anal sphincter reconstruction, Sphincter-sparing rectal surgery, Transanal surgery, Restorative proctocolectomy, Robotic colorectal surgery, Laparoscopic colectomy, Colonic polyps, Colectomy, Transanal minimally invasive surgery, Colonic disease, Intestinal perforation, Endorectal ultrasound, Colo-vesicular fistula, Surgical oncology (non-breast)
Education & Training
- University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical CenterResidency, Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2000 - 2001
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterFellowship, GI Surgery Research , 1993 - 1995
- University of Zurich FOMClass of 1988
Certifications & Licensure
- CA State Medical License 2002 - 2024
- European Board of Surgery Qualification EBSQColoproctology
- Swiss Board of Surgery FMHGeneral Surgery
- Swiss Board of Surgery FMHVisceral Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Fellowship American Surgical Association, 2022
- Fellow American Surgical Association, 2022
- Top Docs Los Angeles Magazine, 2018-2022
- Join now to see all
- Treatment of Perirectal Fistula With Cutting Seton vs. Collagen Plug Start of enrollment: 2007 Feb 01
Publications & Presentations
- Feasibility of perioperative remote monitoring of patient-generated health data in complex surgical oncology.Laleh G Melstrom, Xiaoke Zhou, Andreas Kaiser, Kevin Chan, Clayton Lau, Mustafa Raoof, Susanne G Warner, Ali Zhumkhawala, Bertram Yuh, Gagandeep Singh, Yuman Fong, Vir...> ;Journal of surgical oncology. 2022 Sep 28
- Cancer Survivors, Oncology, and Primary Care Perspectives on Survivorship Care: An Integrative Review.Madeleine Love, Marc Debay, Anne Charity Hudley, Todd Sorsby, Linda Lucero, Stuart Miller, Sagus Sampath, Arya Amini, Dan Raz, Jae Kim, Ranjan Pathak, Yi-Jen Chen, And...> ;Journal of primary care & community health. 2022 Jun 9
- 2 citationsEvaluation of Comparative Surveillance Strategies of Circulating Tumor DNA, Imaging, and Carcinoembryonic Antigen Levels in Patients With Resected Colorectal Cancer.Marwan Fakih, Jaideep Sandhu, Chongkai Wang, Jae Kim, Yi-Jen Chen, Lily Lai, Kurt Melstrom, Andreas Kaiser> ;JAMA network open. 2022 Mar 1
- Join now to see all
- Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Repair of Rectovesical Fistula After Hartmann’s Reversal ProcedureR Sotelo, K Nikkhou, A M Kaiser, L G Medina, I Gill, Journal of Robotic Surgery
- KMET Radio talkshow with Yvette M WalkerJune 14th, 2022
- Society of University Surgeons (SUS)Member
- International Society of University Colorectal Surgeons (ISUCRS)Member
- European Society of ColoproctologyMember
- American Surgical AssociationFellow
- German, French, Italian
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: