Dr. Chiles is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office280 N Central Ave
Hartsdale, NY 10530Phone(914) 332-0396Fax(914) 468-8895
- Is this information wrong?
- I graduated from Harvard University in 1986, and subsequently attended medical school at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine. My time in medical school included a one-year laboratory research fellowship in neurosurgery. From 1991 to 1998, I completed my residency in neurosurgery, as well as a combined orthopedic-neurosurgical fellowship in complex spine surgery, both at New York University (NYU) Medical Center in Manhattan. I have been in private neurosurgical practice in Westchester since 1998, and have performed well over 3,000 major operative procedures.
Since 2005, I have operated Westchester Spine and Brain Surgery, PLLC, a multi-hospital private neurosurgical practice which provides state-of-the-art surgical evaluation and treatment for a wide variety of conditions related to the spine and brain, with emphasis on surgical spine problems such as disc herniations and spinal stenosis, often requiring complex operative treatments such as laminectomies, discectomies, and fusions. I also specialize in innovative techniques such as minimally invasive spinal surgery, computer-guided surgery, and cervical artificial disc placement. I am an attending neurosurgeon at numerous hospitals throughout Westchester and Connecticut, including White Plains Hospital Center, New York Presbyterian-Lawrence Hospital, Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital, St. John’s Riverside Hospital including the Dobbs Ferry Pavilion, Westchester Medical Center, and Stamford Hospital. I was certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery in 2002, and was named a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 2004. I am a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), as well as an active member of the New York State Neurosurgical Society, where I serve as a member of the Board of Directors, and am also Past-President.
I am honored to have been recognized by Castle Connolly as a Top Doctor for both 2020 and 2021.
Education & Training
- NYU School of MedicineResidency, Neurological Surgery, 1992 - 1998
- NYU School of MedicineFellowship, Complex Spine Surgery, 1995 - 1996
- NYU School of MedicineInternship, General Surgery, 1991 - 1992
- UCSFClass of 1991
Certifications & Licensure
- CT State Medical License 2017 - 2022
- NY State Medical License 1993 - 2023
- American Board of Neurological Surgery Neurological Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Castle Connolly Top Neurosurgeons, New York Metro Area 2020-2021
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor 2020-2021
- Westchester Magazine Top Neurosurgeons, Annual Fall Best Doctors issue 2020
- Join now to see all
Publications & Presentations
- 8 citationsTraumatic arteriovenous fistula of the posterior inferior cerebellar artery treated with endovascular coil embolization: case report.James K. Liu, David Decker, Michael S. Tenner, William T. Couldwell, Bennie W. Chiles> ;Surgical Neurology. 2004 Mar 1
- 17 citationsCervical spinal metastasis: anterior reconstruction and stabilization techniques after tumor resection.James K. Liu, Ronald I. Apfelbaum, Bennie W. Chiles, Meic H. Schmidt> ;Neurosurgical Focus. 2003 Nov 15
- 117 citationsCervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Patterns of Neurological Deficit and Recovery after Anterior Cervical DecompressionBennie W. Chiles, Michael A. Leonard, Haroon F. Choudhri, Paul R. Cooper> ;Neurosurgery. 1999 Apr 1
- Join now to see all
- New York State Neurosurgical SocietyMember
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: