Dr. Kahn is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office1425 Madison Avenue
Icahn (East) Building Floor 4th Floor Room Room L4-11
New York, NY 10029Phone(212) 659-8760Fax(212) 659-8838
- Is this information wrong?
- Following medical school, I served in the Royal Army of the Netherlands as a first lieutenant, then trained as a psychiatrist in Utrecht and as a neurologist in Amsterdam. I subsequently moved to New York City for a research fellowship in biological psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, completed my psychiatry residency at Mount Sinai Hospital, and worked as chief of the psychiatry research unit at the Bronx VA. I moved back to Utrecht in 1993 to be chair of psychiatry at the University Medical Center, and took over leadership of the Brain Center Rudolf Magnus—a hub of research in basic neuroscience, psychiatry, and neurology. In 2017, I returned to Manhattan for my current position, chair of the Department of Psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
My expertise is in the neurobiology of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. One of my most important contributions to the field was helping to establish proof that schizophrenia debuts with cognitive dysfunction, preceding the onset of the first incidence of psychosis by more than a decade. My group also showed that brain volume is one of the most heritable characteristics, paving the way to link brain volumes in health and disease to genetic variation.
My research has been supported by multiple international grants, and I have served on neuroscience grant review boards in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and Germany. I have authored or co-authored more than 900 papers, served on the boards of several international research societies, and received several honors including knighthood in the Netherlands; a honorary doctorate at Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary; a Fulbright scholarship and the ECNP’s Neuropsychopharmacology Award.
Education & Training
- Mount Sinai School of MedicineResidency, Psychiatry, 1988 - 1992
- University of Groningen Faculty of Medical ScienceClass of 1979
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 1993 - 2022
- CT State Medical License 1992 - 2022
- European Long-acting Antipsychotics in Schizophrenia Trial Start of enrollment: 2014 Oct 01Davidson, M.,Kahn, R.S.,Fleischhacker, W.
- Optimization of Treatment and Management of Schizophrenia in Europe Start of enrollment: 2011 May 01Meyer-Lindenberg, A.,Glenthøj, B.,Arango, C.,Pantelis, C.,Prelipceanu, D.,Rujescu, D.,Berger, G.,Stone, J.,Libiger, J.,Rybakowski, J.,López-Ibor, J.J.,Bobes, J.,Hranov, L.,Hert, M.d.,Leboyer, M.,Davidson,...
- Genetics and Psychopathology in the 22q11 Deletion Syndrome Start of enrollment: 2002 Oct 01Engeland, H.v.,Vorstman, J.A.,Kahn, R.S.
- Functional Brain Activation Patterns in Schizophrenia, Measured Before and After Treatment Start of enrollment: 2001 Dec 01Veelen, N.V.,Kahn, R.
Publications & Presentations
- Dissimilarity in Sulcal Width Patterns in the Cortex can be Used to Identify Patients With Schizophrenia With Extreme Deficits in Cognitive Performance.Joost Janssen, Covadonga M. Díaz-Caneja, Clara Alloza, Anouck Schippers, Lucía De Hoyos, Javier Santonja, Pedro M. Gordaliza, Elizabeth E.L. Buimer, Neeltje E.M. van H...> ;Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2021 Mar 16
- Symptom Remission and Brain Cortical Networks at First Clinical Presentation of Psychosis: The OPTiMiSE StudyPaola Dazzan, Andrew J. Lawrence, Antje A. T. S. Reinders, Alice Egerton, Neeltje E.M. van Haren, Kate Merritt, Gareth J. Barker, Rocío Pérez-Iglesias, Kyra-Verena Sen...> ;Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2021 Mar 16
- The effect of prednisolone on symptom severity in schizophrenia: A placebo-controlled, randomized controlled trial.Lyliana G. Nasib, Shiral S. Gangadin, Inge Winter van Rossum, Zimbo S.R.M. Boudewijns, Lot de Witte, Ingeborg Wilting, Jurjen J. Luykx, Metten Somers, Natalie D. Veen,...> ;Schizophrenia Research. 2021 Apr 1
- Join now to see all
- Accelerating Science to Advance Early Interventions for SchizophreniaOctober 30th, 2020
- Switching Anti-Psychotic Medications Doesn't Improve Outcomes in First Episode Schizophrenia PatientAugust 14th, 2018
- No Gain with Antipsych Meds Switch in SchizophreniaAugust 13th, 2018
- Join now to see all
- Omega fatty aids Trial in Ultra High Risk subjects (PURPOSE)Stanley Foundation2015–2020
- Innovative Medicine InitiativePRISM2016–2019
- European Long-acting Antipsychotics in Schizophrenia Trial (EULAST)EGRIS (European Group Research in schizophrenia)2014–2019
- Genomic studies of bipolar disorder in a large Cohort from The NetherlandsNIH/NIMH2010–2015
- High-density Genome-wide Association Study inSchizophreniaNIMH2006–2010
- Membership Committee, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology 2016 - Present
- Scientific Advisory Board, MRC Center for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Cardiff, Wales, UK 2015 - Present
- Member, NEURON (Network of European Funding for Neuroscience Research) 2010 - Present
- President, Schizophrenia International Research Society (SIRS) 2014 - 2016
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: