Dr. Choudhri is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over a million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office1 Gustave L Levy Pl
New York, NY 10029Phone(212) 241-8560Fax(212) 241-9285
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Choudhri is Co-Director of the Neurosurgery Spine Program in the Mount Sinai Department of Neurological Surgery. After graduating with distinction (Alpha Omega Alpha) from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, he completed his neurosurgery training at Columbia's Presbyterian Hospital and NY Neurological Institute. He then completed additional spine fellowship training at the Barrow Neurological Institute under Dr. Sonntag, an internationally-renowned spine surgeon.
Dr. Choudhri's chief clinical interests include (1) cervical spine disorders/surgery (2) minimally-invasive spine surgery (cervical and lumbar) (3) intradural spine tumor surgery and (4) concussion management and sports neurosurgery. His spinal practice covers a wide range of disorders:
-Minimally-invasive spine surgery: microscopic/endoscopic surgery
-Craniovertebral junction disorders: chiari malformation, occipital-cervical instability
-Cervical spine disorders: neck/arm pain, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, spondylosis
-Thoracic spine disorders: herniated discs, tumors, paraspinal biopsies
-Lumbosacral spine disorders: low back/leg pain, herniated discs, spinal stenosis
-Spinal trauma and spinal cord injury
-Spinal tumors: intramedullary, intradural, extradural, paraspinal
-Spinal deformity: scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, spinal instability, post-op kyphosis repair
-Congenital spine disease: diastematomyelia, dermal sinus, myelomeningocele
-Peripheral nerve surgery: carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve, meralgia paresthetica and tumors
Dr. Choudhri frequently participates in the education of other spine surgeons at national/international conferences. He is active in leading Neurosurgical and Spine organizations and has served on the Executive Committee of the Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves. He has served on national multispecialty committees which developed and published guidelines for lumbar and cervical spine surgery.
Education & Training
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell CampusResidency, Neurological Surgery, 1995 - 2001
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia CampusInternship, Transitional Year, 1994 - 1995
- Columbia University School of Public HealthClass of 1994
Certifications & Licensure
- AZ State Medical License 2001 - 2003
- NJ State Medical License 2001 - 2003
- NY State Medical License 1999 - 2022
- American Board of Neurological Surgery Neurological Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area Castle Connolly, 2014
- New York Magazine: Top Doctors Castle Connolly, 2013-2014
- Fellow (FAANS) American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy Surgical Trial Start of enrollment: 2014 Apr 01Dessy, A.,Abjornson, C.,Peters, C.,Hill, H.,Harrop, J.S.,Jaeger, J.,Coumans, J.V.,Nichols, J.,Wollenweber, L.,Pratt, L.,Steinmetz, M.P.,Zeleny, M.,Christopher, S.R.,Albert, T.,Petrenko, Y.,Ghogawala, Z.
Publications & Presentations
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and concussions in adolescent athletes: incidence, severity, and recovery.Zachary Spiera, Theodore C. Hannah, Adam Y. Li, Nickolas Dreher, Naoum Fares Marayati, Muhammad Ali, Dhruv S. Shankar, John R. Durbin, Alexander J. Schupper, Alex Gome...> ;Journal of Neurosurgery. 2021 Jul 30
- Academic Productivity of United States Neurosurgeons Trained Abroad.Adam Y. Li, Zerubabbel K. Asfaw, Roshini Kalagara, Alexander J. Schupper, Kurt A. Yaeger, Faizaan Siddiqui, William H. Shuman, Theodore C. Hannah, Muhammad Ali, John R...> ;World Neurosurgery. 2021 Jun 13
- Incidence of concussion and recovery of neurocognitive dysfunction on ImPACT assessment among youth athletes with premorbid depression or anxiety taking antidepressants.Muhammad Ali, Nek Asghar, Adam Y. Li, Theodore C. Hannah, Zachary Spiera, Naoum Fares Marayati, Nickolas Dreher, John R. Durbin, Alex Gometz, Mark A. Lovell, Tanvir F....> ;Journal of Neurosurgery. 2021 May 7
- Join now to see all
- Workforce Analysis of Spine Surgeons Involved with Neurological and Orthopedic Surgery Residency TrainingIsabelle M Germano, Tanvir F Choudhri, World Neurosurgery
- Academic Productivity of Spine Surgeons at United States Neurological Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery Training ProgramsTanvir Choudhri, MD, World Neurosurgery
- The Mount Sinai HospitalNew York, New York
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: