Dr. Cavallo is on Doximity
As a Doximity member you'll join over two million verified healthcare professionals in a private, secure network.
- Connect with other colleagues in the same hospital or clinic
- Search all U.S. specialist profiles and refer a patient
- Read the latest clinical news and earn CME/CEU credits
Office945 Summer Street
Stamford, CT 06905Phone+1 203-614-8888Fax+1 203-614-8400
- Is this information wrong?
- Dr. Cavallo received his medical training at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine and was asked to remain at The Mount Sinai Medical Center for his orthopedic residency. Following this, he went on to become subspecialized in not only Sports Medicine and Knee Surgery but also Shoulder Surgery while performing a dual fellowship at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Cavallo’s interest and commitment to sports medicine has led him to be the team physician for numerous high schools and colleges in the Westchester and Stamford areas. His surgical patients include athletes currently competing in the National Football League and Bellator MMA as well as Olympic competitors.
As a team physician, he takes great pride in preventing injuries and keeping athletes healthy and on the field. When injuries do occur, aggressive, non-operative approaches always take precedence. If the need for surgery arises, state-of-the-art techniques are employed to maximize functional return while shortening recovery times. Whether it’s treating the weekend warrior or operating on the professional athlete, the approach and expectations are always the same.
Dr. Cavallo is honored to have been asked to participate in the collaboration between Stamford Health and Hospital for Special Surgery. He is extensively published in orthopedic literature on a variety of topics including enhancement of fracture healing, joint reconstruction, shoulder instability and anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Dr. Cavallo has lectured at numerous international conferences, including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is also a proud recipient of the Castle Connelly Top Doctor Award for Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery, and is listed as a Top Doctor New York Metro Area, Westchester Magazine Top Doctor and Fairfield County Magazine To Doctor 2016, 2017, 2018
Education & Training
- Duke University HospitalFellowship, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 1998
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount SinaiResidency, Orthopaedic Surgery, 1992 - 1997
- New York University School of Medicine/NYU Langone Orthopedic HospitalResidency, Shoulder & Elbow Orthopaedic Surgery, 1996
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount SinaiClass of 1992
- Temple UniversityMEd, Sports Medicine, 1988
Certifications & Licensure
- NY State Medical License 1994 - 2025
- CT State Medical License 1999 - 2024
- NC State Medical License 1997 - 1998
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Publications & Presentations
- 11 citationsA rare case of diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis after total knee arthroplasty.Julius K. Oni, Russell J. Cavallo> ;The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2011 Sep 1
- 30 citationsShoulder instability and impingement in throwing athletes.Russell J. Cavallo, Kevin P. Speer> ;Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 1998 Apr 1
Viewing the full profile is available to verified healthcare professionals only.
Find your profile and take control of your online presence: